Excitement at Vic Falls

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Excitement at Vic Falls

Postby wamaggot » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:32 am

Hi everyone.

I Am really wanting to make to Victoria Falls on some type of trip this year, and one of the highlights of any trip there would be to swim in the "Devil's pool" on he edge of the falls. For me I think it would be an incredible moment, and the highlight of any trip there.

However I can only be there at the start of August, and everything I find indicates the pool will be closed until late August/September. With this in mind, are there any other activities or experiences to up close to "edge" so to speak that would compare with Devils pool that would be possible in July/early August? Or is the pool just in a class of it's own?!

Thanks
wamaggot
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Excitement at Vic Falls

Postby coqui14 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:42 pm

I don't think the Devil's pools are very excited (is cool but not an adrenaline rush). There are lots of activities more excited to do around the Falls like Bunge jumping, elephant safaris, and in my case the most excited was White Water rafting starting just at the edge of the falls for a whole day experience. A true class-5 rapids, great adrenaline rush and good experience. Good luck.
coqui14
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby ballu » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:14 pm

I did a helicopter flight over the falls...
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby collywobbles » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:29 pm

hi wamaggot :)

You could also take a microflight over the falls pretty awesome. I did helicopter ride. Fantastic. A few of the guys in my group did the bungee jump. hairaising. but it was fab.They also did the white water rafting. An adrenaline rush if ever there was one. It was pretty hairy. But they lived to tell the tale. :mrgreen: There is plenty of activity at the falls to do. Hope you have plenty of time to do them all :D

cheers.
collywobbles

Postby nikimarcotte » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:06 pm

i think the bungee jump is closed since it broke and that girl went into the river in late 2011 or early 2012. or at least the people i was contacting to get copies of my bungee photos from sept 2011, suddenly went out of contact in jan 2012.
nikimarcotte

Postby sinecure » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:41 pm

I believe the bungee may be back open. I friend just came from DCF and he went bungee jumping.
sinecure

Postby catraveller » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:19 pm

The bungee jump was open when I was there in September 2012. Note that you do the bungee from the Zambia side of the falls, and the Devil's Pool is also on the Zambia side.

On the Zim side, there's lots of adventure activities as well - zipline, flying fox, gorge swing, whitewater rafting, helicopter, etc.

Devil's Pool was an amazing experience! I was there at the end of September, but I did meet someone in the airport who was able to do it on his trip (would have been in August 2012), so you may get lucky and be able to do it in August. Even if Devil's Pool is not open, there are a few areas where you can get pretty close to the edge in the Park.
catraveller
User Rank: Weekender

Postby nataliejuk » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:50 am

There seems to be so many options of stuff to do!
I hear the sunset river cruise is amazing. I would like to do the lion encounter too!
nataliejuk

Postby collywobbles » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:27 pm

nataliejuk wrote:There seems to be so many options of stuff to do!
I hear the sunset river cruise is amazing. I would like to do the lion encounter too!

Hi :D

Yes they were both amazing trips . The lion walk was a whole afternoon in Thorntree reserve . after the walk we had refreshments. Some did it early morning and had breakfast after.
If you get the chance to do it take it! :)
collywobbles

Return to Africa and Middle East