Organized tour vs. on your own?

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Organized tour vs. on your own?

Postby ap517 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:47 pm

I am trying to decide if I want to do a tour with G Adventures/Intrepid etc or do solo travel. I've done lots of solo trips to Europe, but it's so easy to get around and minimal culture shock. I have done a Contiki trip when I was 22 (first time to Europe) and felt like it was too much partying/too rushed...12 countries in 15 days or something crazy. I am interested in 2-4 week tours to SE Asia, South America, India, and Africa, no yolo tours.

My concern is that as a female I am a little nervous to travel alone outside of North America/Europe so I like the organized tour idea. But I don't like to spend 1-2 days in each city, I'd prefer 3-5 days. Are these tours going to be too rushed for me? I guess with the tours I'll get to meet people and also experience things I might not get to on my own (homestays, special tours, etc).

I'm leaning towards the tour only with the idea that I can always return, right? But I just hate feeling rushed and missing out on sights and doing what the group wants to do vs what I want to do (I know, I am selfish when it comes to traveling!). Looking at the itinerary and optional activities, I want to do every one of them!
ap517
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Organized tour vs. on your own?

Postby Janice08 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Why not combine both? Often when I've booked a tour I plan to have a few extra days at the beginning or end of the trip to do my own thing. I've found the end works better because by that time I'm more familiar with the area and have a better idea of what's out there and the safety issues. You also have the whole trip to research ideas. Your CEO may be able to help you arrange things as well.

You said you had 2 - 4 weeks for you trip. You could have one to three shorter trips with a tour group and a few days in between the trips to explore on your own.

Most of the trips I've been on with G Adventures have free time in different locations where you can explore on your own (or with your new found friends). You also have the option of skipping an included activity if there is something else you would rather do.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad

Postby leahlovestravel » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:42 pm

Just an idea...I haven't done them myself yet...but what about throwing in a local living tour? I was looking at them a while back and it looks like it gives you a home base, some direction from a guide, and more independence than some of the other tours.
I also like to add on to the beginning or end of a trip too. Sometimes both. I find the start and finish cities aren't always covered well on some of the trips so I make time to do my own thing around the actual tour.
I'm a solo female traveler and enjoy the small group format G offers. Only positive experiences!
If it does not bring you joy, why are you doing it?

leahlovestravel

Postby TravelFun » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:01 pm

I always think a mix is good. A group trip to get you started and see how things work plus you can get great advice from the guide and other travellers before you venture out yourself.

Not all trips are rushed so take your time to read through the trip notes...it states clearly how much free time you have and the pace of the tour. You don't have to do everything with the group so read up and see what best suits you.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby ap517 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:26 pm

Thanks for everyone's responses. I think the tours are the way to go, and I can always add a few days in the major cities in between and hope to come back again in the future!
ap517

Return to Travel Tips