Hilltribe Trek out of Chiang Mai, Thailand

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Hilltribe Trek out of Chiang Mai, Thailand

Postby jcameron » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:53 pm

I am going on the Thailand on a shoestring tour in Feb, we're doing the northern hilltribe trek that leaves out of Chiang Mai. Is there anything that is a must to have with me? Hiking shoes vs. runners? Wanting to keep my pack as light as possible. Any advice on what the essentials are would be great, plus any other tips for a young woman traveling alone in Thailand :)

Thanks!
Jill
jcameron
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Hilltribe Trek out of Chiang Mai, Thailand

Postby scottmaclisa » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi

Buy a pair of leech socks. Also, a bathing suit if you are doing the rafting after you leave the village.

Enjoy!
scottmaclisa

Postby kateyb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:24 pm

I wore trail runners and found this just fine. Hiking boots would be too heavy and bulky in my opinion for this kind of trek. Pack as light as you can. Outside of the trek, you can buy everything you would need for very cheap in Thailand. I traveled with another friend and not with a tour group when I went last year. Thailand is very easy to travel around, and I found it to be very safe. It is very well traveled so most people spoke English.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby jcameron » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Great, thanks so much that was one of my biggest questions. Happy I can just use my lightweight runners.

Jill
jcameron

Return to Asia