Maldives Dhoni cruise

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Maldives Dhoni cruise

Postby lbettinson » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:44 pm

Does any one know if there is a baggage weight limit for cruise? Do they have any floaties on board? ( mats or tubes) Is there electricity on boat? Thanks Lori :D
lbettinson
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Maldives Dhoni cruise

Postby ash181 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:01 am

I was told that you can buy drinks eg beer and wine on board. Just doing my budget and wondering if anyone knows roughly how much a beer is worth?
ash181

Postby lbettinson » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:10 pm

I don't know for sure,however I would budget 5 bucks (usd) a beer. What ever is left over you could use as a tip at the end of cruise. Do you have any details about this trip? I am leaving Dec. 9.
Would appreciate any info. Thank you Lori :mrgreen:
lbettinson

Postby leonm » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:24 am

HI, I'm looking at doing this trip next year and wondering if you could give me your opinion of it, especially regarding whether there is electricty on the boat for recharging batteries and is the snorkeling fantastic?

Leon
leonm
User Rank: Weekender

Postby abell » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:26 pm

My husband and I have done this boat trip twice, once in late 2008 and again in late 2010 (different crew). Both trips were awesome. We had stayed at a resort for a few days prior to taking the cruise. We wanted to see more of the Maldives and the cruise offered us a reasonably priced alternative to doing so.
The snorkeling is fantastic (both coral and sea life), the crew was wonderful and the food copious and delicious (curries, fresh fruit and veggies, fresh fish when the crew was able to catch any, etc.) We did not go hungry. We could buy beer/wine on the boat at reasonable (compared to the resorts) prices. Our primary reason for going to the Maldives was for snorkeling and we were not disappointed on the cruise (or at the resorts for that matter).
The sleeping accommodation was small (we had a double bed one time (very tiny for my 6'2" husband) and bunks the 2nd time with limited storage for duffel bags under the bed (drawers). There was electricity part of the day to recharge anything. You'll spend very little time in the sleeping area because there are mats and lounge chairs above for reading, sleeping, chatting and enjoying the fantastic scenery. We also had the opportunity to visit villages on a couple of "inhabited" islands, including some great drumming (Bodu Beru). The resorts are all on "tourist" islands that don't have villages.
We are going back to the Maldives later this year again (unless things get too dicey in the capital) to stay at a resort that has a great house reef. It is truly a magical place. This time we'll stay only at a resort. The price of this cruise has more than doubled in 6 years (we paid $730 in 2008 and $1149 in 2010. Now it's $1499 for 6 nights, which comes out to about $500 per night for 2 people ($3000 divided by 6). There are resorts that you can go to that are much less than that (and many that are much more expensive). The cruise is a wonderful adventure though, but we'll pass on it this time.
If your flight gets in after 11 am or so in the morning, you'll need to stay overnight, either at the airport hotel (I believe there are a couple more on the island where the airport is) or take a water taxi to Male´(about a 10 minute ride) where there are lots of options for hotels that are much cheaper than the one nearest the airport. You could also arrange to store extra luggage at the airport for the night so you don't have to be burdened with taking it to Male´. Male´is worth a day's visit in itself if the political situation stabilizes.
There was a mix of young people (in their 20's and 30's) and older folks like us (we're now in our late 60's) on the first trip and one younger person and 2 other couples in their 30's on the second trip. To me, the Maldives is the epitome of a beautiful tropical destination.
The weather on both trips was pleasant and the lack of air conditioning wasn't an issue. Warning, the shared bathrooms (there were 3 for the passengers and crew) were tiny but serviceable.
Bon voyage.
abell
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby leonm » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:36 am

Thanks for the tips, it sounds fantastic.
Now i just have to try and fit some time off into the schedule.
leonm

Postby wendy simon » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:56 am

Dear Abell,
My husband and I are booked to go on the dhoni Feb. 2nd 2013. I can't wait!
Just curious which resort with the great house reef did you go to? We are spending 2 nights before the cruise and need a reasonable place to go.
Thanks so much, Wendy
wendy simon

Postby jennlemm » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:55 pm

I am going on the March 2nd cruise and am trying to "meet" anyone who might be on that cruise as well. Anyone there?

For any of you who have been already, can you kindly answer some questions for me?
- Were you able to receive any cell service on the boat?
- In the interest of trying to pack light, do I need a pair of sneakers? Or am I alright with just flip-flops?
- What did everyone where on the islands at night? Did it get chilly?

Thank you!
- Jenn
jennlemm

Return to Asia