Medical advices for Thailand on a Shoestring

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Medical advices for Thailand on a Shoestring

Postby lucy and pete » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:40 pm

I am going to Thailand next month and have received Hep A,B and Thpyoid already.

The doctor has asked me to check how long we will be in 'at risk' areas for maleria - so I know how many maleria tablets to get.

We will also be travelling to Chiang Mai and was wondering whether we will need Japanese Encephalitis (it says outbreaks are May - Oct), Yellow Fever and Rabies. Please can somebody advice as quickly as possible.

we will be going to
Bankok
Chiang Mai - hilltribe trek
Khao sok NP
Koh Tao
Koh Samui

Thanks
lucy and pete
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Medical advices for Thailand on a Shoestring

Postby michelle808 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:18 am

Technically the doctor should be looking into these things for you, that's their job. I go to a travelers health clinic & show them my itinerary then they look to see what I will be exposed to in the areas & vaccinate or prescribe accordingly. I would almost change doctors if your getting this half ass service.

Please note I'm not a doctor or health care worker but this is what I was advised when I went to Thailand:
Malaria - Since you will be in the Northern Thailand it is a Malaria area, also do not obtain the Malaria pill that you take like once a week because it won't be effective enough, I was prescribed Malarone for the duration.

Rabies - Unless your staying months, don't bother it is expensive. If you were going to Indonesia that would be a different story, supposedly Indonesia have the high rate of human rabies infections.

Yellow Fever - Your not going to Africa or South America, don't bother with this.

Japanese Encephalitis - Again, unless your staying for months in the Thai jungle don't bother.

You may want to make sure that you have your Tetanus shot & that it is up to date, also your MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) shot is current. Also stomach medication in case you get bali belly (upset stomach, have to take a crap alot type thing). Hope this helps & have a great trip!

Cheers,
Michelle
michelle808
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Medical advices for Thailand on a Shoestring

Postby lucy and pete » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:28 pm

Thanks alot for the advice :)

Cheers
lucy and pete