Singapore to Bangkok (Colours of Asia) mid April

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Singapore to Bangkok (Colours of Asia) mid April

Postby g3mostone » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:55 am

Hey guys,

This will be my first trip with Gap. Anyone else going at this time? Anyone else already been on this trip in the last couple of years?

Any advice on what and how to pack and what to expect in terms of getting around would be great. Or even tips on must-see and must-do places.

Thanks in advance,

- Gemma
g3mostone
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Singapore to Bangkok (Colours of Asia) mid April

Postby jackcowey » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:48 am

Hey Gemma,

I have just booked on to this trip this week leaving Singapore on the 13th April.

Did you go ahead and book in the end?

Jack
jackcowey

Postby g3mostone » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:40 am

I totally forgot to come back here and check this! Thanks for the reply :)

Yep my partner and I are all booked in. Paid the final payment today and booked the remaining flights home to Australia. Now all we've got to do is invest in some good backpacks because we're hoping to keep travelling with Gap.

We get in to Singapore around 7pm the day before the trip staying at a more up market hotel near the quayside. How's about you? Travelling alone? Been to any of the countries before? I've only been to Hong Kong and Macau so really looking forward to seeing a bit more of the world.

Gemma (and Rossco)
g3mostone

Postby jackcowey » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:50 am

Hey Gemma,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Looks like the trip is filling up fast (noticed it only has 2 spaces left).

That's cool - I want to get a new backpack as well, I am currently working and living in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (been here since October and going home in June) so I have traveled a little around the area including Singapore before.

I am travelling alone on this trip.

I get into Singapore at 4pm on the Saturday so will be there just in time for the first meet up.
jackcowey

Postby g3mostone » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:45 am

Yeah I noticed how quickly the vacant spots filled and asked the Gap people via a reply to my full payment confirmation email how many were confirmed and there's 13 of us all up at this stage. Must be a popular tour!

Look forward to bugging you with all sorts of questions about living and working over there :P Guess you've got a short flight before the officially tour start on the Saturday. We're flying in with Scoot who we've heard mixed reviews about so I'm looking forward to having a day of recovery.
g3mostone

Postby denise83 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:44 pm

Hey everyone!
As this is going to be my first trip with g-adventures and at the same time my first trip to asia I'm already getting excited about everything.... Any advice on what to pack and what to expect? I also wonder what kind of people are going to be there...?
I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!
Denise
denise83

Postby sjwillson » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:04 pm

What is everyone doing about malaria prophylaxis? My travel clinic tells me I don't need it, but my physician friend is skeptical. Plus it's expensive.
sjwillson

Postby jackcowey » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:30 am

Good to see some more people on here now, not long now till the meet up in Singapore!

Currently 35 degrees here in Cambodia so looking like a hot trip ahead.

Gemma, we got some long bus rides and my iPad battery is terrible so feel free to bug me!

I must admit I haven't even thought about packing yet, should really get on to planning some things. I was in Thailand in 2007 and remember lots of cheap clothes so may just wing it a little (can always do with some more beer tee's).

Medication - had injections in October, haven't really thought about anything else. Malaria tablets always make me ill anyway.
jackcowey

Postby g3mostone » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Wow - great to see so many new posts here. Hey fellow travellers!

Jack - thanks for the reminder: I really need to get in there and load my iPad up with movies, games and books for the trip. I'm hoping there's lots of scenery on the road trips. Wondering if I should pack my Uno cards too hmm.

I'm booked in with the Dr. (last minute!) to just get all the routine vaccinations done (Hep B, TB etc) because I hadn't had them updated since high school, but other than that I'm not worrying about malaria. Will load up on repellent if we go near the jungle and out at night.

Haven't started packing yet either - other than a stash of travel sized toiletries. I actually need to go buy a backpack and bag in the next week or so. Just going to pack summer weight clothes, light layers, a sarong if I need to cover up at temples and so on. Great to hear the weather is warm. I hate the cold and it's just turning chilly here in Australia.

Can't believe it's 3 weeks until the trip!
g3mostone

Postby denise83 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:56 pm

@Gemma: If you decide to bring your Uno cards, I'd definitely join the game :-)

Do you guys think it'll be necessary to bring a mosquito net to hang over the bed at night?
denise83

Postby jackcowey » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:45 am

Cards are definitely a good idea Gemma.

No Mosquito net for me, I am just going to get a large supply of Tiger Balm I think. Usually does the trick for me.

Where is everyone travelling from anyway? I am from Coventry in the UK but live in London at the moment (when not here in Cambodia).

While the weather here is pretty good, I notice there is heavy rain at the Malaysian F1 today - but warm rain isn't bad! Don't think I have seen Singapore dry (been twice so far), so hoping for a first there.
jackcowey

Postby denise83 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:33 am

Thanks for your reply Jack!
Well, I live in Switzerland and will arrive in Singapore 2 days before our tript starts.
denise83

Postby julia.b » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:32 am

Hi!

I'm booked on this trip as well. I'm on the essential china tour with gadventures at the moment which is amazing so hopefully the colours of Asia tour will be too! :)

Looking forward to meeting everyone! I'm from Chester in England :)

Julia
julia.b

Postby sjwillson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:57 pm

I am coming from Portland, Oregon, USA. British passport, however.
sjwillson

Postby g3mostone » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:40 pm

So many new posts! And we're from all over - cool :)

Is anyone else a fairly new traveller as I am? I've only been to Hong Kong/Macau late last year. Maybe I'll be the most obvious 'tourist' on the trip :P

See you all in just over a week! I've got my vaccinations, my bag, going to stock up a few last minute items this weekend and then see how I go fitting everything in to the bag.

Oh! And I'll hopefully remember to pack the Uno cards :P
g3mostone

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge