Absolute Peru what kind of bus?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Absolute Peru what kind of bus?

Postby pocketrocket » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:50 pm

Absolute Peru have anyone done this trip? soooooooo many questions...

Departure 7April 2011

I am confused when we are staying hotel and when in the bus and is the bus just for our group or are we in the local bus?

When you are overnight in the bus can you lay down to sleep? which stretch is this over night bus jorney?

Is there any internet connections in the hotels?

can you buy pay as you go sim card from Lima does it work during the trip?

Is it easy to walk around by yourself while your guide is occupied on optional tours (which I can not afford after paying this trip) and finding out more and more things to pay example departure tax everytime you fly from any of the airports! :(

How sad that it is not clearly stated what your trip will end up costing.. very very confusing. I still try to keep positive attitude and then just try to save missing money by not eating and drinking nice restaurants etc. :oops:

Can we see Inca trail camping mat before departure if I need to rent that one as well?

Do you take all your luggage with you to Amazon or is there same duffel bag system like inca and galapagos trips?

Wow thank you again if you manage to answer any of these or even all! :P :lol:
pocketrocket
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Absolute Peru what kind of bus?

Postby ballu » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:11 pm

I did this tour in 2004, I don't think much has changed...but hopefully someone will update if needed.

I think there's only one overnight bus, every other night you should be in a hotel...except the nights along the Inca Trail when you're in a tent.

There are some public buses (including the overnight bus) and some private "group only" microvans. Buses are nice, like greyhounds. You'll have a seat and not be squished in.

The overnight bus has reclining seats, so it's like sleeping on a plane. I think the overnight stretch was between Nazca and Arequipa.

I'm sure things have changed since 2004 when it comes to hotel internet access. Some hotels had it back then...but you should be able to easily find internet in most places (other than Inca Trail, jungle and the overnight stay on the Titicaca island).

Not sure about mobile phones/SIM cards, but I imagine pay as you go/SIM card wouldn't be a problem.

I had no problems wandering around during free time. Get a business card from the hotel front desk so you have the address in case you get lost.

When I rented the sleeping bag/mat, we were able to check them out before hand. The ones provided by the company were the basic thin foam roll up ones.

We flew with our luggage to Puerto Maldonado...then stored it there and took just what we needed into the jungle in a provided duffle bag.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby pocketrocket » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:55 pm

Thank u so much for ur time and reply! :D

If anyone have anything to add please let me know!
pocketrocket

Postby pocketrocket » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:20 pm

When we leave from Lima we use public bus..? when we stop and do sightseeing are we carrying all our packbags with us or are going to hotel/guest houses first to leave stuff and then tour?

I so wish GAP would write this trip details better. When public bus when something else? How we traveling from the public bus to hotel etc? Anyone here who knows?
pocketrocket

Postby sinecure » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:53 pm

You'll be stopping at your hotel to drop your bags off first.

Don't worry too much about the details, all the workings of how you are getting from city to city and what you'll see will be explained in great detail with your guide the first night. Some even print up sheets for you with extra info.

On our tour we took the public bus to the highway drop off and then took cabs to our hotel, had a brief break to freshen up and then met up for a tour of the city.

Again your guide will go over all details and will work with your group.
sinecure

Postby pocketrocket » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:30 pm

:) Thank you. That helped! :D Anyone wants to add anything I'll keep reading! Thank you soooooooo much for your time!
pocketrocket

Postby Zuleika » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:25 am

Goodness - you need to relax!!!!!
Its your holiday and you will be well taken care of by GAP - dont worry about all these small details its all sorted out for you and the leader will tell you exactly what to do. It really is that simple!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby davebriz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:48 pm

Hi, this is a message for Ballu as you said that you did this trip in 2004, though I'm sure that things are bound to have changed since then! Just wandering if you remember if there were toilets on the long haul buses as I'm not sure what "greyhounds" are like? Thanks.
davebriz
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby klm500 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Hi!
There are toilets on the overnight bus yes. Take some toilet roll! The buses were comfortable, but very cold, so dress warmly! I had a good sleep, although they woke us at 6am playing the Beatles hits by panpipe(!) All part of the experience I guess!!
Kat.
klm500
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby ballu » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:37 pm

My experience was the same...except the music we woke up to was worse :) Toilets at the back of the bus, I slept better than I thought I would. Ear plugs are a good idea...maybe an eye mask to block out light.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby Alpine_Resort » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:28 pm

Hi! I did this trip in 2008 and it was awesome! Like the others said, you need to relax and go with the flow. Listen to your guide. They give you great advice especially when it comes to keeping your belongings safe. The overnight bus is MUCH more comfortable than a plane but the swaying throughout the mountains kept waking me up.
I think we took all our luggage to the Amazon but you certainly don't need much as it's REALLY hot and humid, especially after Cuzco which is quite cool. Don't worry about packing too much warm stuff either. You must buy at least one Alpaca sweater.
Definitely pack layers as you'll want to peel them off on the Inca trail. Mornings are cold but as you hike you'll quickly get hot.
Listen to your guide when he says to rest and take it easy. Altitude sickness can come on quickly. When we arrived in the Colca Canyon, I felt fine so ignored his advice and went walking. I regretted it later.
Even when I went I was surprised at how easy it was to find internet cafes and connect with home. I'm sure it's even better now.
Skimp on whatever you can at home so you can bring as much money as you can. This is a once in a lifetime trip so you won't want to miss something just because it's going to cost you $20. Mention to your guide that you'd like cheaper restaurants. They often go for the "tourist" places to make sure everyone finds something they'd like to eat. Like you, I'd prefer to eat cheaper, skip the booze and EXPERIENCE everything.
You will have a great time!
Jodi from rural Ontario, Canada
Alpine_Resort
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby rayw » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:21 pm

I did the Absolute Peru tour in July 2011. Much of what has already been said above was still true when I went on my AP trip. If you are wondering if you will be taking any "chicken buses" in Peru on that tour, then the answer is no.

You will have a great time on this tour, though! Plenty of adventure and culture to embrace and enjoy. And over the course of three weeks, I felt that there was a nice balance between group tours and having free time to explore on your own along the way.

There's a reason why this tour is one of their Best Sellers. :wink:
rayw

Return to South America