Antartica Classic Cruise Jan 29 2013

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Antartica Classic Cruise Jan 29 2013

Postby boreham » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:38 am

Thought i would start this thread to meet a few fellow travelers. Arriving in Uaishia on the 24 to have a good look around and just chill out before the cruise.

Mik
boreham
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Antartica Classic Cruise Jan 29 2013

Postby travellinghappy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:46 am

Hi Mik,
I'm on the same trip - and really looking forward to it!
All being well, I arrive into Ushuaia on 28Jan at 1755. As long as my flights aren't delayed, I'm hoping to do a trip to the lakes on the 29th before meeting up with everyone at the hotel in the evening.
Really hope I'm packing the right stuff. Weight limit is 15kg on the internal flight!
Hope to catch up with you soon.
travellinghappy
User Rank: Weekender

Postby boreham » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:34 am

Hello Travellinghappy
Was starting to think it was only going to be our group of 6 :lol: (2 bros&wives,uncle&wife)
The luggage restriction on the internal flight has and is being an issue for my wife. I have made sure that the 2 top layers are waterproof and warm then what ever else i can to make up the difference.
This will be our first holiday in 5 years and cant wait for the flight out.
Until then stay safe.

Mik

PS if there are any other Aussies in Ushuaia on the 26 let us know
boreham

Postby travellinghappy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:41 am

The others are obviously keeping a low profile as the trip is all but sold out!

A friend from Aus did the same trip last month and I received the following advice in an email this morning:

"We were incredibly lucky with the weather on our trip and had plain sailing on the Drake Passage both ways which apparently is almost unheard of, so I can’t give you much help on what to expect there, but there was talk of 30ft+ waves & swells on the trip before ours! I’ll just have to wish you good luck there.

In terms of what to take clothes wise … on the boat it can actually be really warm in the cabins & in the lounge area, so take some cool comfortable clothes for the down time & while you’re sailing. Otherwise it’s just a matter of taking a few layers. I had some icebreaker long johns & an icebreaker long sleeved under layer which were great to wear under your normal clothes. I borrowed some ski pants which were great for when you go out on the zodiacs, particularly as they had elastic around the bottom of the leg which helped keep the snow out when we were walking through soft deep snow patches. If your feet get wet they could be pretty damn cold! The boots they provide for shore excursions are fine, but not warm, so take a few pairs of good thermal socks. The other things you’d need are a good windproof jacket. You can layer to keep you warm under it so it doesn’t need to be big & puffy, just really windproof, preferably with a hood. A hat that comes down over your ears & cheeks is a good idea too. It can just get so windy up on the outside decks on the boat & in the zodiacs!
Lastly a decent pair of gloves is obvious! I got some cool inner gloves which allows you to take off your big gloves & still keep your fingers protected if you need to adjust your camera etc. I had ones with special pads on the fingers so you could also swipe your iphone touch screen which was pretty handy. A waterproof bag is a good idea for your camera when you go on the zodiacs too, even just a ziploc bag to go inside your daypack would be ok. The food on board is great, you certainly won’t go hungry!

I’m sure there’s loads more I could tell you, but half the excitement is not knowing what’s ahead of you & the crew on board are awesome and will look after you anyway! Just note that if you have your own seasick pills you’ve used before, I’d stick to them, as although the ones they give you on the boat are free, I don’t know what’s in them but they just knock you out! Everyone on them pretty much slept for the 2 days sailing across the Drake Passage".

Hope that helps!
travellinghappy

Postby mrsask » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:23 am

Greeting All,

My wife Linda and I will be joining you for the Antarctic Classic on the 29th. We are arriving on the 1755 as well but on the 29th instead. We are going to head out to the park the following morning before boarding and then do the lakes tour after we disembark on the return.

We are from Saskatoon Canada and travel extensively but this is our first trip of this nature. Neither of us handle boats well but feel that paying the 'Drake tax' is worth the reward on the other side. We won't have an issue with just taking the pills and sleeping for the 2 day crossings.

We have not done our first practice pack yet to see how close we are to the (very restrictive) 15kg limit on Aerolineas. Problem is that we are allowed twice that for all the other segments. May just have to bite the bullet and work with 20kg bags and pay the $12 overage fee. Not like we aren't used to paying twice that to check a regular bag here anyway!

Looking forward to chatting with you all over the next few weeks.

...Cameron
mrsask

Postby travellinghappy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi Cameron - thanks for the tip!
Compared to other airlines, the excess baggage charges on Aerolineas Argentinas are not that excessive at all - especially as "All flights to/from Tierra del Fuego are excempt of Tax(VAT)".
See http://www.aerolineas.com.ar/arg/main.a ... dIdioma=en

As at today 03Jan12, the excess baggage charges on AR domestic flights in Economy are:
Between 16 and 20 Kgs (from 1 to 5 kgs excess) = ARS 49.50 (GBP 6.23 / USD 10.07 / AUD 9.57 / CAD 9.90)
Between 21 and 30 Kgs (from 6 to 15 kgs excess) = ARS 115.70 (GBP 14.57 / USD 23.53 / AUD 22.33 / CAD 23.14)
Between 31 and 40 Kgs (from 16 to 25 kgs excess) = ARS 247.93 (GBP 33.21 / USD 50.44 / AUD 47.85 / CAD 49.59)
I probably only want an extra 5kg, so £6.23 is a bit of a bargain! :o
travellinghappy

Postby michael f » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:04 am

Hi,
Just to touch base with other travellers, we ( Michael and 'Tricia) arrive in Ushuaia on the 24th Jan, due to the fact that we were booked on the Aurora trip which was cancelled and our flights were already booked. We are staying at the Los Naranjos Hotel before moving into tour hotel. We are doing a few trips in and around Ushuaia prior to departure. We are both looking forward to the trip and look forward to meeting up with everyone. We are departing from Sydney but live in Denmark, a small village on the South Coast of Western Australia.

Michael F
michael f

Postby mic111@live.com.au » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:04 am

Hi all, thought I would drop in and say hi to everyone.
My nicname is Mic, seems like there will be a few M's on this trip.
I'm from Canberra, Australia, where the temps have been a hot almost 40 degrees for the last few days, so it will be a bit of a shock going from 40 to 0 in the space of a few weeks.
I'll be in Ushuaia for a couple of days before and a couple of days after the trip, and still working out what things I'll visit around here, so if anyone has any great recomendations, let me know.
See you all in a couple of weeks.

Mic.
mic111@live.com.au

Postby michael f » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:30 am

Hi,

Would anyone like to meet up for an evening before the trip 26th or 27th ?

A neighbour of our's must have been on the same trip as "travellinghappy's" friend as she said that the crossing was calm both ways. She also said that it was not as cold as she thought it would be apart from when on the zodiacs. It all depends on the wind chill factor .
Cheers
Michael
michael f

Postby mic111@live.com.au » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:35 am

Sure, you can count me in for a early meetup. How about we make it the 27th then more chance if anyone else is coming a few days before the cruise can come along as well. I don't have any idea where is good there yet so open to ideas of where to meet up.

Mic.
mic111@live.com.au

Postby michael f » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:35 am

Hi Mic,
27th sounds good. We have been recommended a seafood restaurant called Kaupe at 470 Roca. I looked it up on travel advisor and it had fairly good reports. If others reply I will book a table if it necessary.
Cheers
Michael
michael f

Postby boreham » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:27 pm

michael f wrote:Hi Mic,
27th sounds good. We have been recommended a seafood restaurant called Kaupe at 470 Roca. I looked it up on travel advisor and it had fairly good reports. If others reply I will book a table if it necessary.
Cheers
Michael

Ya count us in. Was one of the restaurants i was looking to try out anyway.

Mik
boreham

Postby mic111@live.com.au » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:08 pm

Count me in for the dinner as well.
Not sure how I'm going to go with seasickness so might be one of the last nights I can have a drink or two for a while.

Mic.
mic111@live.com.au

Postby michael f » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:35 pm

24th,we have just arrived in Ushuaia. The weight restrictions on luggage is Two pieces total weight 23kg. We had made every effort to keep to 15kg and ended up just over but nobody seemed that worried and our hand luggage was not weighed. We are travelling on after the cruise so do not know if they will be more strict later. People were taking on fairly large hand luggage and not stopped.
PS Anyone else for the 27th ?
Last edited by michael f on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michael f

Postby romanijo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:28 pm

Hi
Joining the trip on 29th - leaving UK Sunday 27th - staying one night Buenos Aries & then flight down to Ushuaia - happy to meet up with anyone else staying the night before internal flight next morning.
Looking forward to the experience - just so love travelling & seeing what the world has to offer.
romanijo

Next

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge