getting from buenos aires to ushuaia

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

getting from buenos aires to ushuaia

Postby lr25 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:44 pm

im nearly ready to start booking my trips and as im looking to do an antartic cruise im just wondering how you get from the airport at buenos aires down to ushuaia? do g adventures include the flight down to ushuaia in the price of the tour?? ive studied the brouchure alot and it doesnt really give an answer. ive emailed them about this and they never answered my question.
i know it might be a bit of a dumb question to ask but im just a bit nervous as ill be travelling by myself and i just want to feel that i can get from place to place without any stress.
thanks. :D
lr25
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Re: getting from buenos aires to ushuaia

Postby bevaroo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:45 pm

When I booked my trip, I asked g adventures to book my flights as well. They have a 'flight center' and all my flights were booked for me from my home city. As well, the travel rep was able to book accommodation for my overnight in Buenos Aires. I too am travelling alone and I must say, I have had nothing but positive things to say about the booking process. :)
bevaroo
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: getting from buenos aires to ushuaia

Postby origcavy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:42 pm

The trip leaves from Ushuaia so you're responsible to get yourself there (unless you book flights with G of course).

Aerolineas Argentinas and LAN are the two airlines that fly from BA to Ushuaia. Both are somewhat known for delays/cancellations so be sure to give yourself extra time as cushion. I got into Buenos Aires in the morning and flew out again the next morning, arriving into Ushuaia the day before the ship departed. I would have liked to have another day in Ushuaia for cushion (tours of the Beagle Channel and Tierra Del Fuego are excellent for spending that extra time).

Do be aware that there are two airports in Buenos Aires! Most (but not all) international flights are into EZE and most (but not all) flights to Ushuaia are out of AEP. There are multiple ways across the city to get between the airports from shuttle bus to hire cars. There are taxis but be sure to take the 'official' taxis and not just get in a car with some guy who offers a ride! :)

The ship will not wait if you are late due to delayed flights and there is no way to catch up so be sure to give youself a bit of time cushion (at least on the way there, who cares if you're delayed coming home?)

Don't worry about traveling alone... everyone I met was very nice, friendly and welcoming! :)
origcavy
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic