Layover time too short?

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Layover time too short?

Postby freshresch » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:24 am

Hello!
I am about to book my flight for my trip to Thailand. I have a question about layover time for the way over. The flight I want to book has a 3 hour layover. So I would be flying out of NY to China, layover of 2 hours 50 mins, and then forward to Thailand from there. Is that long enough time to go through customs and all that? I will only have a carry on, so i wont have to get luggage or anything. Thanks for your help!
freshresch
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Layover time too short?

Postby onyx007 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:21 pm

Do you really think you need to go through customs ? Is it said in your travel document ?
As you travel on to another international destinations you might not need to go through any procedure and just stay in "Transit".

I think, if your booking system shows you this connection it shouldn't be a problem, 2h 50min is plenty of time to go through customs and security even in China (as long as you have something like a transit-visa for China - if you really have to go through customs, you might need something). Maybe ask your travel agent or contact the company where you like to book your flight about it.
onyx007
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby Zuleika » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:20 pm

I think that will be plenty of time.
Majority of countries other than the US dont need you to clear customs, you merely carry on through to the transit lounge and get on your onward flight. If you have checked luggage this is put on the flight for you, no need to pick it up and re-check it.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby moviegeekjn » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:50 pm

More than enough time... and here I was debating whether to risk a flight that had a one hour layover within the US :lol:
moviegeekjn
User Rank: Nomad

Postby scottmaclisa » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:29 pm

You don't go through customs in China. You are kept in a secure area where you catch your next flight. The timing is great. You could do it with less than an hour stop-over.
scottmaclisa

Postby nytim » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:56 pm

I just did it. One hour is enough time so no worries really.
nytim

Postby freshresch » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:26 pm

Thanks everyone! I will be booking that flight soon
freshresch

Return to Asia