Airport Transfer

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Airport Transfer

Postby dcohen00 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:12 pm

I have made my own flight arrangements out of Toronto on February 14th. What is the best and most efficient way to transfer between airports in Buenos Aires as I only have limited time to do it.
dcohen00
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Airport Transfer

Postby PaulTeolis » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:38 pm

If you booked thru G, they can make an airport transfer arrangement for you for a small fee.
otherwise when you exit the baggage area in BA, there are kiosks there to get a cab to the domestic airport or downtown, depending on what you have planned.

I have used both methods before.
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby anonymous928 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:59 pm

There is also a bus - The Manuel Tienda Leon, which is significantly cheaper, but it sounds like you might be in a hurry.

http://www.tiendaleon.com.ar/home/home.asp

Amounts listed are in pesos.

Aerolineas Argentina put me in a cab between airports on the way down because my flight out of AEP was essentially cancelled, but the cab driver did try to extort us on the way so be sure to have sorted price/tolls/everything settled before getting in the cab. Even with a receipt of AA prepaying, our driver almost made us miss our flight demanding extra money.

On the way back I used the bus because our outgoing flight via EZE was rescheduled the day before the ship got back to Ushuaia and we would've missed our international flights had we not gone directly to the airport on standby all morning. All we could get was AEP and used the bus from AEP to EZE which took a little over an hour.

If you are flying on Aerolineas Argentina, they may be willing to route you without changing airports the day of depending on their delays. I didn't end up on either flight I was booked on, although it had the opposite effect on me as I was not supposed to change airports at all, but not doing it would've cost me hotel nights in Ushuaia going down or my separately ticketed international flight going home. These options require you showing up at the airport well in advance of your flight though.
anonymous928
User Rank: Traveller

Postby jen_the_rockhopper » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:07 pm

I am suddenyl terrified of this part as I have heard utterings that you should have it all prepaid and arranged ahead of time or you may not make it etc. :( *worries*
Hoping to talk to my travel agent tomorrow to see what she says espcially since I cannto really make heads nor tails of the website listed in earlier post....more utterings I have heard say that if less then 4hrs should take the limo to make it on time but I didnt think it was that far so how a bus cannot make it is beyond me but I guess that is the uninformed ignorant of travel me. I dunno

*continues to worry* think it is walkable should need be?
jen_the_rockhopper
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby anonymous928 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:56 am

It's really not that difficult. You do not HAVE to purchase the limo or bus transfers in advance, just look for the sign and the picture of the lion. If you don't buy in advance you just may have to wait in line and for the next bus/available limo. The bus is not non-stop, it stops in town which adds a bit of time. There is also traffic to account for. The cab I took was 6am, so there was virtually no traffic, but still took almost an hour because of his demands and would have been completely fine had we not been shooting for the 7:25am flight which was an hour earlier than the flight I was scheduled to leave from on the original airport. The bus took a little over an hour once the bus arrived to arriving at the first terminal of EZE. Overall probably took about two hours for the transfer from ticket line, waiting for next bus, to applicable terminal.

It is definitely not walkable if you have to transfer from AEP to EZE or vice versa. Workable with proper layovers, but not walkable.
anonymous928

Postby travellinghappy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:43 am

jen_the_rockhopper wrote:*continues to worry* think it is walkable should need be?

Definitely not walkable. It's about 35-40km between the two airports.

However the Manuel Tienda Leon coach service is very comfortable & reliable, and unless you are in a desperate rush, it's a lot less hassle than negotiating with taxi drivers!
travellinghappy
User Rank: Weekender

Postby jen_the_rockhopper » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:58 pm

hmmm I have apparently 3.5 hrs between flights....hoping this is enough time. G arranged the flights so....eeps! Unfortunate it is not walkable. Well if I didnt have my stuff it would be but guess with a suitcase not so :(
jen_the_rockhopper

Postby travellinghappy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:40 am

jen_the_rockhopper wrote:I have apparently 3.5 hrs between flights....hoping this is enough time

Hope you got there OK in the end! Let us know...
travellinghappy

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic