ETAT130512: Absolute Turkey - May 12th, 2013

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

ETAT130512: Absolute Turkey - May 12th, 2013

Postby hyperlollipop » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:33 am

Hi,

Just booked onto this tour with my fiancé & hoping to meet others who will be on the same trip. We're in our late 20s & live in Australia.

We're travelling to the UK, before the tour, for my sister's wedding.

Really looking forward to it, booked Turkey on a bit of a whim!

Hope to hear from others...

Katie :)
hyperlollipop
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: ETAT130512: Absolute Turkey - May 12th, 2013

Postby cputro » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:45 am

I just booked this! It's my 7th G Adventures tour.

I live in the US (Los Angeles) and will be arriving the morning of the 12th. This will be fun.

Chris (http://www.chrisputro.com)
cputro
User Rank: Traveller

Postby hyperlollipop » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:23 pm

Hey Chris,

Glad to meet someone on the tour, got worried we were gonna be traveling alone :)

7 tours with G, wow, you must rate them. This is my 1st with this company.

We're hoping to spend 2 months in the USA in 2014 so it'll be good to get some insider tips from an LA local.

Hopefully more people from the tour pop up on here.

Katie.
hyperlollipop

Postby hyperlollipop » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:57 am

Just booked flight into Istanbul. Gets in at 16:55 so might miss the tour intro.

Anyone else on this tour?

Anyone paid the add-on to do the ballooning in Cappadocia?

Katie.
hyperlollipop

Postby cputro » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:24 am

I haven't decided on the balloon ride. Presumably we can book/pay through the tour leader.
cputro

Postby hyperlollipop » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:54 am

I recall reading that you had to book/pay before you join the tour. Maybe this is a way to encourage everyone to sign-up up-front though and they will also offer it once we arrive..?

I compared the price G Adventure charge to what the local operators charge and it seemed about the same.

I'm interested in parasailing in Kas too but don't know if there will be time. G said speak to the tour leader on arrival to see if it can be arranged. I chickened out of doing it in Queenstown in August and regret it.
hyperlollipop

Postby maryd » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi there Katie and Chris -- I'll be on this trip, too...and it's full-up now, so we should have plenty of good company!
I'll be meeting my friend Mike in Istanbul for this adventure. He's from the UK. We met on a G Adventures tour in India at the end of 2009 and have traveled on several other tours since then. We did go ahead and pre-book the balloon flight...mostly because I forced the issue...but I feel certain that there would be a way to get on one even if you didn't pre-book, or you could add it on at this point I should think? And I am ignoring the unfortunate episode that was reported on the news from Egypt within the past couple of days involving tourists and hot air balloons...
Looking forward to meeting everyone and having a great time!

Mary from Atlanta
maryd

Postby cputro » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:20 am

I was in Egypt 10 years ago and decided not to do the Luxor balloon ride because I wanted to sleep in, and because I heard the view is terrible on hazy days. I hadn't actually considered FALLING OUT OF THE SKY as a potential drawback.

Nevertheless, I'll probably do the balloon ride if everyone else is doing it. I see that the trip notes quote prices for cash and credit card, implying that it can be booked in person and not exclusively as part of the "theme pack".

I was checking the site every day for a while and was very excited when the available spots suddenly went from 4 to 0. More people always means more fun!
cputro

Postby mich_reid » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Hello everyone!

We will be joining you from Ontario, Canada. We are mid thirties and very excited about our first tour of this sort. Looking forward to meeting people with a common sense of adventure from all corners of the world!

Michelle & Lee
mich_reid

Postby mich_reid » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:34 am

It's the first day of spring here in Ontario, and still snowing. 58 days until we start our journey, and counting :(
mich_reid

Postby hyperlollipop » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:54 am

Hi Michelle & Lee,

Welcome. And wow that weather sounds harsh!

Average max temperature here in Perth in March is approx 30 degrees (thats 86F for you Chris & Mary!) & we're in autumn (or do you call it fall?).

When is everyone arriving into Istanbul? We arrive 4:45pm on the 12th. How are people getting from the airport to the hotel? Haven't looked at options yet.

KT.
hyperlollipop

Postby cputro » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:42 pm

I arrive at 10:15am on the 12th. I'll probably be in bad shape after two overnight flights, but I'll try to get some sightseeing in. Looks like a taxi is the easiest way to get to the hotel.
cputro

Postby mich_reid » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:32 pm

Looks like Lee and I will arrive mid-morning on the 11th. We figured we would need time to bounce back from our long trip from Canada but, sounds like nothing compared to Chris' trip!!! We booked in at the same hotel that the whole group will stay in on the 12th, hope to run into some of you as you can check your bags with the desk while you do a little sightseeing.

Taxi looks like the easiest transport to the hotel. There is also a line that departs from the airport and brings you blocks from our hotel if you want to save a bit $$$

We are budget conscious and don't plan on taking the balloon ride, but I reserve the right to make a hasty descision last minute :lol:

Question: What precautions is everyone taking against Malaria? Shots, pills??
mich_reid

Postby cputro » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:49 am

I've never taken anything for malaria, even when visiting higher-risk places like India and the Amazon. In India everyone in my group who took the pills got sick and/or broke out in rashes. I read somewhere that one of the side effects of the pills is "unforgettable nightmares". I'd rather just get malaria. At least I'd have a couple months off from work and I could do something productive for a change, like write a book. Anyway, it looks like malaria is a risk only in the southeast of Turkey, so it shouldn't be a concern for our tour.

I can survive overnight flights pretty well, but this trip could challenge me...I fly overnight LAX to JFK (doubt I'll sleep on that flight), have an 8am-5pm layover, then overnight again from JFK to IST. Apologies in advance if I'm cranky in the first couple days of the tour. :?
cputro

Postby cputro » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:01 am

On second thought, I think I'll take the train/tram combo from the airport to the hotel. I hadn't realized how close the tram stop is, and I'll likely get more fodder for my travelogue out of that expedition than from a taxi ride.
cputro

Next

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge