Sunglasses vs ski goggles?

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Sunglasses vs ski goggles?

Postby kay » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:59 pm

Hi, I'm debating whether to get some ski goggles, but feel a little unsure as to how necessary they will be over my very large polaroid sunglasses? Any positive thoughts/benefits for ski goggles greatly appreciated, to help me decide whether to buy some - I have about 36 hours to go out and buy an expensive pair which I will probably never use again (I don't ski).
kay
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Sunglasses vs ski goggles?

Postby PaulTeolis » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:39 pm

sunglasses will be fine... and bring sunscreen in the event its sunny as well.

safe travels
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby giskard » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:10 pm

I agree, sunglasses are fine. The only benefit I could see ski goggles have is when it's snowing very hard, but then again you might be better off without glasses all together in that case.
giskard
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby anonymous928 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:43 pm

Polarized sunglasses are absolutely fine. I just bought a pair with really large lenses, which sounds like what you already have. Many people with ski goggles kept having to fiddle with them and take them off when posing for pictures. Not great for spontaneous moments.

Also, the captain won't let people off the boat in poor weather conditions so in the zodiacs and on land the weather wasn't even remotely close to needing ski goggles. On deck when landings were cancelled and the snow was blowing horizontal maybe, but I still think you'll be fine with sunglasses.
anonymous928
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby jen_the_rockhopper » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:02 pm

I am just bring some zurich sunglasses that I would soemtimes wear rowing...figure they will be good and cut glare etc especially since I am highly light senstivie
jen_the_rockhopper
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic