Africa overland - what to bring

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Africa overland - what to bring

Postby carmstrong » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:56 am

My wife and I will be doing G's Cape Town to Livingstone trip starting Feb 5th, via Namibia, Botswana, Okavango Delta, etc.

We always try to pack light. What did you bring that you wouldn't next time? What didn't you bring that you wish you had?

Also wondering what rain gear would be best. Poncho? Small umbrella?

Finally, what in the way of any warm clothes? What's the coolest temp we might expect to encounter in February there?
carmstrong
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Africa overland - what to bring

Postby kateyb » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:25 am

I was there in March 2011 and I found it very hot. I had one fleece sweater and I rarely used it. I didn't bring any rain gear as I found when it rained (very rarely), it was quite refreshing to get wet.
I brought a 10 degree sleeping bag and found it fine. Bring a headlamp. Bring paperbacks and older clothes as you can easily use these to trade with for souvenirs. Bring lightweight clothes as you can wash them in the sinks at the campgrounds, but you leave early in the morning and will need them to dry overnight.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby carmstrong » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks, kateyb, very helpful.
carmstrong

Postby collywobbles » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi Carmstrong,

I did this trip in August 2010. The days were hot and the nights were cold. bring a fleece for night-time sitting around campfire. A headlamp very important, plastic flipflops or sandles for showers. Pack light clothes also pack a bit of a clothes line so when you do wash clothes you will be able to hang line between tents. Plenty memory cards and bring a diary to write up your experiences of travelling. There will be some long days in the truck . Also some music ipod if you have one. oh yeah maybe pack a corkscrew or a bottle opener for drinks you buy for evenings around campfire. Climbing dune 45 we climbed it barefoot. much easier. bring a pair of runners if you plan to do Lion walk. you have to wear closed in shoes. A rain poncho or a jkt for when you are walking around the falls. The water spray will soak you and bring something to protect camera. And bring cloth to clean camera lenses. Can be dusty. and of course your sleeping bag and an inflatable pillow would be good. any more questions please ask away. It is a brill trip.

cheers
collywobbles

Postby georginal » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:57 am

Raingear keep lightwight because if it rains, which it may well do, it will still be warm. Poncho may work well, as waterproof trousers are a bit unnecessary. Feb/March still hot in the evenings, with only a couple of nights Serengeti being cold enough for fleeces, I did envy those with woolly hats on those two nights, though. I'd only bring a couple of bulkier fleeces for that time of year. Trousers capri style better than shorts. Remember to have long sleeves and long trousers to change into for protection from those mossies in the evenings. Layers best for travelling as are clothes with zip pockets.

Leightweight sleeping bag will be fine for that time of year.

I didn't bring hiking boots, and didn't miss them. Many people wear them around the campsites to protect the feet, but its really not bad for scorpions etc, I practically lived in my flip flops and survived, you just have to be aware of where you're walking, thats all. Although there are activites around where you have do use closed shoes, trainers are OK. Many tour guides just have bare feet all the time, I'm not sure about that bit, but each to their own on that.

Enjoy!
georginal

Return to Africa and Middle East