How to pack for 14 days in Peru in July including Inca Trail

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

How to pack for 14 days in Peru in July including Inca Trail

Postby cfine » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:39 pm

Reading that we need a backpack and a daypack. Assuming we need a sleeping bag for the trail, can anyone recommend the bag sizes you would recommend? Also - I assume a camera bag will be needed in addition to the daypack for quick access to gear.

Thanks

C and R (Toronto)
cfine
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: How to pack for 14 days in Peru in July including Inca T

Postby markmol » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:34 am

Hi,
you will leave your backpack at the hotel in Cuzco & be given a bag in which you put your sleeping bag, change of clothes etc. The total weight in this bag is 6 kg, they will weigh this before you leave. The porters carry this bag & in your daypack you carry what you need for the day, water, camera gear, rain jacket, toilet paper & snacks. I carried a point & shoot camera in my pocket for quick access, saved unpacking my good camera from my daypack for a quick snap.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby ballu » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:37 pm

You will need a sleeping bag. You can easily rent one in Cusco if you don't want to haul one around for your whole trip.

And I second what markmol says. Luggage gets left in Cusco, you are given a duffle bag to pack for the trail. The bag is just big enough so it would be difficult to get over your weight limit. You'll carry what you need for the day in your daypack.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby cfine » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:54 pm

So what size bags do people recommend? 65 litre? 50 litre? 70 litre? Also for the day pack.

Thanks

Corby
cfine

Postby IncaTrail50 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:15 am

When we went my husband and I took small backpacks and carry-on bags only. Our daughter took a medium-size backpack with a detachable daypack. Sorry I have no idea as to the actual litre size. As has been mentioned, for the Inca Trail your main backpack/luggage stays at the hotel and you are given a duffel bag into which you can put 6kg of weight, including your sleeping bag. The size depends on how much you think you need to bring. You can bring a monstrously huge daypack if you need tons of stuff as long as you understand that you have to carry it! The porters will carry only your 6kg duffel bag. The daypack holds everything you need between when you leave camp in the morning and when you arrive later that day/night. We all kept our cameras in our daypacks or in our hands, no separate camera bag. You need very little by way of clothing, two pairs of pants, two pairs of socks, two or three shirts, nothing excessive for the hike. Your daypack needs to hold layers, a sweater, rainjacket, gloves, hat, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, sunblock, camera, batteries, and water. I'm attaching a couple of pics of our duffels , daypacks, and the carry-on luggage that brought our extra clothing. We travel very light! That size daypack and carry-on is what we use for every trip regardless of the length of our stay! Enjoy, we loved the Inca Trail :D
Duffels.jpg
Duffels.jpg (168.2 KiB) Viewed 1840 times

Inca Daypacks.jpg
Inca Daypacks.jpg (250.45 KiB) Viewed 1840 times
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Return to Travel Tips