NCRU130727- NATIONAL PARKS OF THE CANADIAN ROCKIES WESTBOUND

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

NCRU130727- NATIONAL PARKS OF THE CANADIAN ROCKIES WESTBOUND

Postby staryeyes » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:41 pm

Hiya guys and girls,

I have booked and confirmed myself on the national parks westbound trip a few weeks ago. This is the trip for the 27th until 10th August 2013. I will stay in Calgary for 2 days prior to the trip commencing then I will stay back in Vancouver for another 4 days when the trip is done.
I wondered if anyone is going on this part of the trip. I see a few are going on the week before I do.

Either way hope to meet a few people on my travels.

Star
staryeyes
User Rank: Weekender

Re: NCRU130727- NATIONAL PARKS OF THE CANADIAN ROCKIES WESTB

Postby kcupp95 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:02 pm

Just wanted to pop in say and I did this trip earlier this year and you are going to have a fantastic time!!!!

Also whilst in Calgary, if adrenaline is your thing head over to the Canada Olympic Park and try out the bobsled and zip line from the ski jump towers!

Feel free to pm me if you've got any questions about the trip!
kcupp95
User Rank: Nomad

Postby tesslynn1 » Fri May 31, 2013 6:39 pm

Hi!

I am officially attending this tour from July 27th through August 10th. I am very excited and looking forward to the two weeks of adventuring around Canada. I'd love to connect with other people going on the trip beforehand if possible.

Counting down the days!

Tessie
tesslynn1
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby staryeyes » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:47 am

hi tessie. thats great awesome. I will be travelling solo for the whole leg of the journey. so i am counting down the days until i land in calgary.

have you begun any of your packing yet, sleeping bags, boots, clothing etc. I am only doing carry on for the luggage. so i have a deecent sized karrrimor rucksack.

where willyou be coming in from?

stel
staryeyes

Postby tesslynn1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:21 pm

Yes I will be as well. First time traveling solo for me but I think the group tour will make that easier.

I have not started packing. I do have a sleeping bag and a lot of tanks/long sleeve light layers. The lady who helped me book my trip said it will be easier with our stuff due to the van taking us around. I love camping and hiking so I am looking forward to that.

I'm coming in from Northern California (San Fran region). What about you?
tesslynn1

Postby staryeyes » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:40 pm

i will be flying in from london. I will be staying in calgary for a few days prior and i will be staying at the joining hotel luckily.

i need to get some more layers , i have a fleece onesie that i may use whilst in the tent , as i know i often get cold easily.

7 weeks left...
staryeyes

Postby kcupp95 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:46 am

staryeyes wrote:i need to get some more layers , i have a fleece onesie that i may use whilst in the tent , as i know i often get cold easily.

7 weeks left...

I slept in thermals, track pants, hoodie, ski socks, hat, gloves and scarf when I did the trip in June last year.

During the day I work a singlet, long sleeves shirt, fleece and ski jacket with jeans and a scarf.

It generally dropped to 0 degrees overnight and was about 12-14 degrees during the day.
kcupp95

Postby staryeyes » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:40 pm

so your advice is to generally wrap up extra warm???
staryeyes

Postby kcupp95 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:15 pm

staryeyes wrote:so your advice is to generally wrap up extra warm???

Pretty much!!! You'll be there a month later than me, so it should be a bit warmer!! We still had snow at Lake Louise and there was skiing at Whistler!

Basically you need something to keep you warm overnight because you're camping and a warm sleeping bag and during the day - layers!!! Don't forget rain gear, because the weather changes every 20 minutes in the Rockies - especially between banff and jasper!

Just pack lots of layers that will cover you from 0 degrees overnight to 20ish degrees overnight and you'll be fine. There's laundromats on the way and noone cares if you're wearing the same clothes everyday. Don't forget swimming costume either!
kcupp95

Postby tesslynn1 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Oh how great! This helped a lot! Thanks. I live fairly close to Western Canada (compared to other countries) but our weather is a huge difference. My mind needs to get off warm Summer and think cold camping nights. Will definitely be packing layers! Can't wait :)
tesslynn1

Postby kcupp95 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:41 pm

tesslynn1 wrote:My mind needs to get off warm Summer and think cold camping nights.

Haha I came from Australia, so was very very shocked at this Canadian idea of summer!!! It was colder than my winters!!
kcupp95

Postby staryeyes » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:37 am

Did you guys hear about the flooding in Calgary . I hope by the time we start our tour its not worse. Thankfully I did my insurance several months ago.
staryeyes

Postby markaplin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:42 am

Hi, yea looks pretty bad, lets hope will all be ok.........
markaplin

Postby kcupp95 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:23 pm

staryeyes wrote:Did you guys hear about the flooding in Calgary . I hope by the time we start our tour its not worse. Thankfully I did my insurance several months ago.

Part of the Trans Canada highway from Calgary to Banff has been literally washed away, and theres flooding in Banff and Yoho National Parks as well.....
kcupp95

Postby sarah1987 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:15 am

Hello,

I'm starting the tour on Saturday. My travel agent is in contact with gadventures. I let you know if I hear anything about it.
sarah1987

Next

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge