yellow fever certificates? - to Ecuador via Peru

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

yellow fever certificates? - to Ecuador via Peru

Postby jannz » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:26 pm

Hi,
I know that you need a yellow fever certificate if you have travelled in certain countries and then try and enter Ecuador, but what about if you were only "in transit" through the airport. Tried googling and found that some people have had problems particularly in Africa even though they never left the airport and their luggage was checked all the way through....people denied boarding, quarantine, sent to clinics for a shot, etc. Anyone heard of this happening in South America? My best flights to Quito from Canada connect through Columbia or Peru (both on the YF list).

Yikes, my other option is to arrive late at night directly from a US city...but due to safety concerns (arriving alone) would prefer to arrive in the daytime.
Advice anyone?
jannz
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: yellow fever certificates? - to Ecuador via Peru

Postby markmol » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:16 am

HI,
I arrived in Quito from Australia via Peru & Chile & didn't get asked for a yellow fever certificate.
I don't think it would be different for Canadian travelers.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby jasonatl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:25 pm

Yellow Fever requirements are always changing. It's probably easiest to just get the shot and take the certificate where ever you go. Last year I was told by my travel clinic that it wasn't required for Tanzania but when I arrived at the Kilimanjaro airport, turned out it was required. If you didn't have a certificate, they'd give you a shot right there on the spot. I wasn't really excited about getting stuck with a needle in the airport of a developing country so luckily I was able to bluff my way through.

I got the shot this year before going to Ecuador since I was spending time in the Amazon. A few months later on a different trip when crossing from Argentina to Brazil, the certificate was required even though the Consulate of Brazil at home said it wouldn't be. I didn't bother to bring the certificate on the trip since I was told it wasn't required. In that case our local guide was able to get us through because she knew the border guards. If I had been crossing on my own, I probably wouldn't have been able to go.

Lesson learned... get the shot and take the certificate with you. You just never know when the rules will change and you don't want to have to deal with it in the middle of a trip. Plus Yellow Fever isn't a disease that you want to risk catching, even if the odds of getting it are low.
jasonatl
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby TravelFun » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:23 pm

You'll be fine if it's just in transit. As you stated, YF vaccination is required if travelling between YF declared areas. I always carry my certificate and keep my boosters updated.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Return to South America