China v Cambodia/Vietnam

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

China v Cambodia/Vietnam

Postby nic246 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:11 am

I'm tossing up between these two (shoestring) tours, and keep going back and forth between both (time and money constraints mean I can't just do the two, as much as I'd like to!).

Does anyone here have any reasons for/against either trip? I'll be travelling in a pair so safety isn't really a concern, however we are planning for February so the Chinese winter is a bit off-putting.

Thanks!
nic246
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: China v Cambodia/Vietnam

Postby AdamfromCanada » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:00 pm

nic246 wrote:I'm tossing up between these two (shoestring) tours, and keep going back and forth between both (time and money constraints mean I can't just do the two, as much as I'd like to!).

Does anyone here have any reasons for/against either trip? I'll be travelling in a pair so safety isn't really a concern, however we are planning for February so the Chinese winter is a bit off-putting.

Thanks!

Chinese winter could be a little chilly, but imagine the photos of the Great Wall in winter!

I've never been to Vietnam and Cambodia (although it's on the long, long list of places I'd like to get to eventually). I have been to China twice though, and there's definitely a lot to recommend it. Walking on the Great Wall is one of the coolest things I've done. I've been to the Mutianyu section twice (where most tours will go) but the last time I was there (last month actually), I arranged a day trip to the Jinshanling section of the wall. I was up early to be on the Wall first thing in the morning and was able to walk along without seeing anyone else for 15-20 minutes at a time. Spectacular.

The Terracotta Army is also incredibly fascinating. It takes a certain kind of crazy to spend 20 years having your people prepare your tomb, building thousands of life-size clay soldiers. I was most excited about seeing this on my last trip and it definitely did not disappoint.

Shanghai is also a pretty cool city. Incredibly different from Beijing, there isn't the same amount of history or culture, but there's still an interesting blend of new and old.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if that's enough to pass up tropics and Angkor Wat, given frigid winter temperatures, but it's my best argument!
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: China v Cambodia/Vietnam

Postby ingridc » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:27 pm

Nic I had the same query myself for february and couldn't decide between the same destinations. i tried to lump them all into one overall trip to try and fit everything in but cost was a factor there, then when it came down to it choosing in the end I was steered by the girl in trail finders who said the Great Wall would have snow likely in February and was I prepared for that. How much extra clothes would I need to bring to serve both hot and cold climates, was it really what I had wanted, always thought of visiting in the warmth ! So In an answer NO so I ended up signing up to the essential Vietnam and Cambodia trip instead and china will be hit next time definitely. Not sure if this helps at all but sharing the experience !!
ingridc

Return to Asia