Indochina encompassed 26/01/13

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Indochina encompassed 26/01/13

Postby tonna_ » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:12 am

Hi! Who's going? :) So exited!!
tonna_
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Indochina encompassed 26/01/13

Postby mkooner » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:33 pm

I haven't booked yet but I'm thinking about booking Indochina encompassed on the same date....I have to do a little more research before I book. It sounds so exciting. I would also be doing it alone :)
mkooner

Postby onyx007 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:29 am

mkooner wrote:I haven't booked yet but I'm thinking about booking Indochina encompassed on the same date....I have to do a little more research before I book. It sounds so exciting. I would also be doing it alone :)

For your research and also for tonna, I did it this year through february and it was a fantastic trip.

I can give you following tipps:

The joining hotel in Bangkok, the "Bangkok Centre Hotel" charges a ridiculous amount for their WIFI, but just around the corner on the main street is a much cheaper Internet Café.
If you arrive early at the hotel and don't have a clou where to go, take the public bus no. 53 (just in front of the "Family Mart" on the main street). This bus will you take for only 6.50 Baht (sometimes for free) direct to the Royal Palace and also further on to the backpacker area of Kao San Road (by the way, on your way back to the hotel, don't take the bus, because the street is mostly jammed and you'll even be faster by foot).

By the way if you arrive at a "normal" time at the airport in Bangkok, don't bother to look for a bus (there is no bus), go directly to the train station and take the regular train, change at Makassan to the subway and this journey will cost you only 64 Baht in total. If you take a taxi to the city it should only cost you 500 Baht. Go with a taxi with meter; a couple paid for their taxi 1500 Baht!

The dinner on your train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is fine, but you might bring along something for the morning, as our train arrived with a delay of 2 1/2 hours in Chiang Mai (instead of 8 am at 10.30 am).

If your tourguide gives you the option in Chiang Mai to go to "Tiger Kingdom". It's amazing. It's a petting zoo, where you can go in to the paddocks and play with different sizes of tigers (depends on the price you're willing to pay).

In Luang Prapang the “Ziplining” is great fun and the ride and bathing with the elephants is just amazing. Check out the terrace of the UTOPIA-Barm totally relaxing.

In Hue we had the great opportunity to do our included tours and some more sights on a back of a motorbike like the locals are used to ride.

If you’re a shopaholic prepare for Hoi An in Vietnam. They have 400 tailorshops there and some of our group had to buy another bag or even ship their shopping back home. You can even bring along some magazine clippings if you like a dress like a movie star and can't efford it. The bikeride there is great as well; some of us had the opportunity to ride a waterbufallo.

And finally it’s allright to bring your own laptop. In most of the hotels they have free WIFI, even in Vietnam, but there (except in Saigon) Facebook is blocked, but I downloaded something and it worked fine. But they have computers in the hotel lobby as well and on this computers Facebook is available.
onyx007
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby tonna_ » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:08 pm

mkooner; If you are thinking of booking this date, you should moove fast! last time I checked ( a week ago) there was only one space left before the group is fully booked. Nice to hear that i'm not the only one travelling alone! :)
tonna_

Postby mkooner » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:38 pm

YAY I booked! Can't wait :)
mkooner

Postby tonna_ » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:38 pm

Nice! :) so, where are you from, how old, been travelling a lot before? :)
tonna_

Postby mkooner » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:44 pm

Hey Tonna

My name is Manisha, i'm 24 from Calgary, Alberta CANADA. This is my first gap adventure. I've never been on an adventure like this. Travel a lot to the Carribean, Las Vegas, and San Francisco. What about you? I sent you a private message :)
mkooner

Postby artl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:52 pm

Greetings. I'm going on this tour, leaving Toronto Jan 25, to arrive Bangkok Jan 26. Very much looking forward to this, to the sights and smells and tastes of a part of the world I've never seen.
artl

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge