N.A Coast to Coast- Luggage

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

N.A Coast to Coast- Luggage

Postby cheese1988 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:17 pm

Hi all,

I am thinking about doing this package in the summer of 2013 and just wondering about a few things.

I will be flying from Gibraltar and staying for a week in New York prior to the trip, and also travelling down the coast of California towards LA once the trip finishes in San Francisco. Regarding packing therefore, I am a bit worried about luggage. Does it have to be backpacks?...or is there a possibility of taking a suitcase with wheels? I'm just thinking whether it will be too much of a hassle taking wheeled luggage, especially during the more active parts of the trip.

Also does anyone know of cheap hostels/hotels in New York that are in a good location? I've been scanning the internet but the list is never ending and I'm not sure where the best location would be, possibly best nearby to wherever we meet to start the trip!

Thank you :) x
cheese1988
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: N.A Coast to Coast- Luggage

Postby kcupp95 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:20 am

Are you camping? Soft bags are recommended because it makes packing the trailer a lot easier.

I stayed at the Hostelling International (HI) New York Hostel for 5 nights in July. It was standard dorm rooms, had clean bathrooms, a laundry, nice lounge facilities and a massive kitchen. It's on the Upper West Side (103rd St) and there's a subway stop just around the corner that will take you into Times Square (can change to different lines there) and all the way down to Battery Park for the Statue of Liberty ferry. Room rates were standard hostel. If you include the breakfast, its simply a voucher for a bagel, coffee and piece of fruit from the cafe. There seemed be heaps of organised activities but I was always out the door at 8am and back at 11pm. It's NYC, all you need is a place to sleep :)

When I was there, it was also the joining hotel for a couple of G Trips that were starting that weekend so it might actually end up being your joining hotel!

kcupp95
User Rank: Nomad

Postby cheese1988 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi, Thanks for your reply :D

Yes it is mostly camping so I guess I should take luggage that I can carry then!

Thanks for the information on the Hostel, I will look into it further. It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for!
cheese1988

Postby kcupp95 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:56 am

cheese1988 wrote:Hi, Thanks for your reply :D

Yes it is mostly camping so I guess I should take luggage that I can carry then!

Thanks for the information on the Hostel, I will look into it further. It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for!

Or look into staying at your joining hotel as well if it's cheap? I don't what its like for the USA, but for our camping all our bags stayed locked in the trailer, because weren't allowed to have anything in our tents apart from ourselves because of the bears/wildlife. Which meant we didn't have to lug our bags to the tents which was pretty awesome, but a pain if you forgot to get something out.. Make sure you've got a small bag that you can put your toiletries/change of clothes into easily for when you use the showers etc, and that you organise your bag/daypack really well so you can easily find stuff.

kcupp95

Postby cheese1988 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:16 pm

Heya!

Definitely, I'm not sure what the joining hotel is as it's not specified, but I will email and try to find out as that makes sense :)

Bears... oh dear lol

That's really great advice, thanks a million! :D
cheese1988

Postby yannick » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:38 am

I did the coast to coast trip from SF to NY last summer, (camping)
For your luggage, bring 1 normal suitcase or duffelbag. In the trailer their is space to store them :) but don't bring a to heavy one, because you have to load and unload it often.

Also make sure it's of good quality, it will fall at a given moment, have heavy stuff on top off it etc. You don't want it to break or teer open in the first week.

You will also need a normal backpack, like 20L, just to keep a jacket in, your lunch, something to drink, swimgear maybe etc. because usualy you will not be able to access your normal luggage during the day as it is stored away in the trailer.
yannick
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby laurajay101 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi there! I'm going to keep tabs on this thread as I am doing the exact same tour as you. I am leaving on the 3rd of July to go on the trip to San Francisco which starts on the 6th of July (I wanted to be in NYC for Independence Day), then flying from San Fran to Costa Rica on the 29th.

What month are you going? I was hoping to meet someone on my tour here when my agent at Sta Travel mentioned it!
laurajay101

Postby karen_86 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:25 pm

I did this trip during the summer (San Fran to New York). Had the most amazing 3 weeks, you get to see and do so many cool things, and make really good friends along the way!!
karen_86
User Rank: Traveller

Postby cheese1988 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:20 pm

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply!

yannick wrote:I did the coast to coast trip from SF to NY last summer, (camping)
For your luggage, bring 1 normal suitcase or duffelbag. In the trailer their is space to store them :)

Thanks so much for that advice! I'm really glad I'll be able to take a suitcase and will defo take a normal backpack too! Ahh getting very real now! Will be booking within the next few weeks!

laurajay101 wrote:What month are you going? I was hoping to meet someone on my tour here when my agent at Sta Travel mentioned it!

Hi Laura, such a shame.. I'll be going but leaving on the 20th of July one as I only finish work on the 9th and I want to have a week in New York area before the tour starts! So excited- it's going to be epic!! Hope you have an amazing time! :)
cheese1988

Postby emma&tom » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:18 am

Hi Karen and yannick (and others...)

I've just noticed you have been on the San Fran to New York trip.
Me and my boyfriend are doing the same in May.

I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions?

Can you remember what time your welcome meeting was on day 1? As we want to try and fit in an Alcatraz tour mid afternoon.

What was the wifi like on the bus? Was it hard to get on it or was there generally a space to use it.

If you have any general comments, or tips it'd be great to hear!

Thanks!
emma&tom

Postby karen_86 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:36 pm

Our welcome meeting was at 6pm on the first day, although we actually missed it because we were running late from Alcatraz! We met the group later though and everything was fine.

If you's def want to go to Alcatraz then book tickets before you get there, they sell out a few weeks in advance, and allow a couple of hours to get around the island and then at least an hour to get back. The queue for the boat can be quite long, and once you get back to San Fran you have to get back to the hotel. I'd recommend it though, cool place to see!

We only had wifi on the bus on the first day and then not again until New Orleans because the router broke. We could still get wifi at most campsites (although not always great) and usually if we stopped somewhere for food we could get it. When it was working though it was pretty good on the bus, although you do go through a lot of areas where it can't find a signal. We also unplugged it on our bus some days so more people could charge their phones/ipods etc. We found that we had enough access to get in touch with people at home, but at the same time you do so much on the trip that you really won't worry about it if you can't use it that much! :)
karen_86

Postby emma&tom » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:19 am

Thanks for the reply Karen.
We've decided we won't go to Alcatraz now. We're going to take it easy and look around San Fran in our own time instead.

I agree on the Wifi we shouldn't need it to much!

I've got another question if that's ok?
The driving some days will be quite a lot, how often did you used to stop? For example, on day 4 we have 10 hours estimated travel...!

Thanks!
emma&tom

Postby karen_86 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:41 am

We usually stopped every couple of hours for a 10/15 min break, and always had longer for lunch. There are long days but when you leave pretty early its not so bad. I remember on the whole trip only finding one day quite long. The rest of the time we were listening to music, chatting, reading etc.
karen_86

Postby liie » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:20 am

Emma&Tom, what day are you going? I'm going on that trip on May 4 :)
liie

Postby emma&tom » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi liie

Yeah we're on the same trip as you! Where are you from?
We both can't wait - not long now!
emma&tom

Next

Return to North America