Polar Plunge

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Polar Plunge

Postby anonymous928 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:52 pm

Hello all,

If our sailing has the opportunity to do the polar plunge, does the ship provide the towels? Also would I be better off covering up more, such as wearing a "surfing shirt" as opposed to a regular swimsuit top?

Does anyone have any tips for quick "recovery" and getting back to toasty warm after being in the cold water?

Thank you!
anonymous928
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Polar Plunge

Postby jumpingpuddles » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:00 pm

Hi

If you jump from the ship the coldest bit is the wind blowing through the door while you're waiting! You go off the platform where you get into the zodiacs and will most likely be attached to a belt and rope so you're not in long before you're pulled back in :D Towels and a glass of something medicinal will await you back on board and there's a sauna off of the mud room which feels riduculously hot! I wimped a bit and wore a t-shirt - but only to spare the others from seeing me in a swimsuit :wink:

If you go from the beach you'll need to brave the zodiac ride back to the boat while you're damp but it's all part of the fun :lol:
jumpingpuddles

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:34 pm

We did our "swim" at Deception Island. I use "swim" lightly because only a couple of us actually got down and did strokes -- most people waded out from the beach then waded back in. The water at Deception Island wasn't all that cold IMO -- it was colder getting out of the water (but then I swam).

They have towels waiting for you when you get out of the water and they had some hot soup or a hot toddy waiting for us when we got back on board -- it was delicious and a nice antidote to the brief chill. As jumpingpuddles noted, you can also get in the sauna but I found it was just as easy to head to my cabin and grab a hot shower.
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby origcavy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:34 pm

I'm definitely going to have to remember my swimsuit just incase we get the chance! :D

My family thought I was nuts enough when I told them where I was going, they really thought I was crazy when I told them that I was going to camp in a tent for a night (assuming weather cooperates). They're going to start talking about committing me to a facility for this one... :lol:
origcavy
User Rank: Weekender

Postby jumpingpuddles » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:09 pm

There will be two of us in the padded cell next to you! :lol:
jumpingpuddles

Postby jen_the_rockhopper » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:02 pm

origcavy wrote:I'm definitely going to have to remember my swimsuit just incase we get the chance! :D

My family thought I was nuts enough when I told them where I was going, they really thought I was crazy when I told them that I was going to camp in a tent for a night (assuming weather cooperates). They're going to start talking about committing me to a facility for this one... :lol:

hehehe same here! My family is currently calling me a PIT, penguin in training
sad I cannot locate the bottoms to my bikini so I will have to make do with just my regular one piece suit...though perhaps that will be best

bring on the polar dip!!!!
jen_the_rockhopper
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:40 pm

origcavy wrote:I'm definitely going to have to remember my swimsuit just incase we get the chance! :D

I'd have told you to take the swimsuit anyway because you might want to use the sauna. I didn't tell my family about the tent camping ahead of time but my only disappointment was that we didn't actually get to do it even thought ours was the first trip it was offered. Basically, sky was overcast but safe on our first opportunity and I was the only person who still wanted to go out on the ice -- everyone else wanted to see the night sky from the ice. Unfortunately, weather was bad and conditions just weren't safe on the only other night we could have done it. :( Julio tried to tell them that might happen but some people had very definite ideas of what they wanted. :-(
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby vacationguy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:03 pm

This well be my second trip to the Antarctia looking forward to the polar plunge Dan
vacationguy
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby vacationguy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:05 pm

looking forward to the Plunge. :)
vacationguy

Postby world2c » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:00 am

Well for all those whose friends and families are just now thinking you are nuts, it only shows me that you still need more adventures. When I tell people I am going to Antarctica, and camping and swimming they just sigh and say "figures"! Growing up I didn't have the pleasure to know my grandfather as he passed away when I was very young. But one of his best friends who was a minister gave me advice that only a grandfather could. He told me "Always act a little crazy that way they won't know when you become senile". I should tell you he was in his 70's when he gave me that advice. Now get out there and experience it all! See you camping and swimming.

Don
world2c

Postby origcavy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:45 pm

world2c wrote:Well for all those whose friends and families are just now thinking you are nuts, it only shows me that you still need more adventures. ...

Don

Or that they've just finally reached the limits of their tolerance/expectations for my type of insanity! :D

My other trips they could somewhat understand. This one... they don't really understand so I must be nuts. ;)
origcavy

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:12 am

world2c wrote:Well for all those whose friends and families are just now thinking you are nuts, it only shows me that you still need more adventures. When I tell people I am going to Antarctica, and camping and swimming they just sigh and say "figures"! Growing up I didn't have the pleasure to know my grandfather as he passed away when I was very young. But one of his best friends who was a minister gave me advice that only a grandfather could. He told me "Always act a little crazy that way they won't know when you become senile". I should tell you he was in his 70's when he gave me that advice. Now get out there and experience it all! See you camping and swimming.

Don

Excellent advice! I waited until relatively recently to really get into adventure travel but people have quickly gotten used to my quirky ideas of a good vacation. I like to think they're envious but no one expects me to book a vacation that involves lying around a pool or a beach now -- they all know to expect me to talk about the animals I'll see, places I'll get to hike, etc.
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby trumpeteerav » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:54 am

I can't wait to do the polar plunge!! My wife and all the rest of my family think I'm crazy for going to Antarctica so I couldn't get anyone to come with me. This trip is going to be fantastic.
trumpeteerav

Postby linda.m » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:16 am

I'm doing the Antarctica Classic in Depth, does anyone know if that includes camping or the polar plunge? This is the first I've heard of it!
linda.m

Postby jumpingpuddles » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:25 am

Hi Linda

We're doing the same trip on the 18th of this month. Polar plunge? Yes - anyone can do it, weather conditions, oppurtunity and insanity permitting! Camping? It's not included but there are limited spaces offered on the earlier departures for £49 each - if you look at the date you're leaving on the website and scroll down, you'll see if the option's available along with kayaking. Again it's dependant on weather and ice conditions. Nothing's guaranteed - and that's at least half the fun :D

If you're not on our trip then I hope you have tons of fun on yours!
jumpingpuddles

Next

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic