Which Galapagos Tour?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Which Galapagos Tour?

Postby canadiangal6 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:40 pm

Hi there,

I'm interested in an either 7 or 10 day trip to the Galapagos and am wondering which tour would be best? Even after filtering to only show "standard" trips, there are still many tours available so I'm not sure which to choose! I'm interested in seeing the diverse wildlife (tortoise, birds, marine iguana, sea lions) and would like to be on a tour that would allow me to take great photos (I'm a photography enthusiast). Do you think a land based tour would be more suited because I have my camera gear or do you think it would matter? I plan on taking my dSLR camera for most of the photos and I have an underwater casing for my point and shoot.

Also, would 7 days be too short? The reason why I'm asking is because I only have 2 weeks vacation next year and if I choose a 7 day tour, I'll be able to spend a few days on my own in Qinto before flying back home. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to see any of Ecuador at all.

Thanks!
canadiangal6
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Which Galapagos Tour?

Postby graybeard » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm

First, if you can swing a 10 day tour by all means do so. Remember that "10" days really translates to 6 full days in the islands when you subtract the arrival and departure days and the travel to/from days. You will see so much more. I did the 10 day in 2011 and loved it. I would strongly lean to the boat tour as you will see more islands and their critters. Travel between island happens mostly at night and the critter watching happens after you take a zodiak to the island. No problem with bringing along cameras and the snorkeling opportunities increase. Given how expensive a Galapagos tour is and the likelihood that it is a once-in-a-lifetime, go big. True, you will not be able to explore Quito and surroundings all that much, but it is a better trade off. Quito was nice but the birds, reptiles and fishy's beat the socks off of the slight tawdry city. IMHO, of course!!

Given that now there are two choices of routes, I would go back in a second to do the north islands. Not likely, however, due to cost.
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby canadiangal6 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. After some serious consideration, I've decided to take the 10 day boat tour. Since I get 10 working days off next year, and the tour starts on a Tuesday, I can actually squeeze in a couple of days in the city. :) I'm very excited about this trip. And now I need to figure out which lens to bring. :P And yes, this will be a once in a life time trip and Galapagos has been on my list to visit since I was 13. I blame all the Discovery Channel shows I watched while I was young. :P
canadiangal6

Postby moviegeekjn » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:49 pm

canadiangal6 wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. After some serious consideration, I've decided to take the 10 day boat tour. Since I get 10 working days off next year, and the tour starts on a Tuesday, I can actually squeeze in a couple of days in the city. :) I'm very excited about this trip. And now I need to figure out which lens to bring. :P And yes, this will be a once in a life time trip and Galapagos has been on my list to visit since I was 13. I blame all the Discovery Channel shows I watched while I was young. :P

Good decision... I did the shorter boat tour due to lack of time and was satisfied, but IF you have the time for the longer boat tour, it's worth the investment. Galapagos for most of us is a once in a lifetime tour, and you WILL get tons of photo ops on the boat tour--more animal diversity that you could possibly experience on a land based tour.

You will be able to get incredibly close to the animals but photo geeks should bring the best lens they can pack.

Quito is ok, but ranks WAY below what you'll see in the islands... I did stay an extra day at the end of my tour because it gave me the chance to spend New Year's eve in Quito.... and my research had indicated the unique traditions for that time. That's the only thing that made Quito memorable.... Otherwise, one full day there would have sufficed.
moviegeekjn
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to South America