Electronics in South America

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Electronics in South America

Postby immaterialman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi there,

I'll be travelling to Patagonia, then Iguazu and on to Peru and down to Santiago (including Macchu Pichu, lake Titicaca and the Atacama) so I'm wondering:
should I take my tablet or notebook?

I'm sure I'll be able to find power outlets to charge, question is, will there be internet access (wifi)? How safe is it?

Thanks,

T
immaterialman
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Electronics in South America

Postby IncaTrail50 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:17 pm

It depends on what you want to do. If you're just looking to keep in touch then you can use internet cafes and leave both at home. We were in Peru a few years ago and had no problem finding internet access. It's probably as safe as anywhere else, take the usual precautions regarding passwords, etc. We usually take a small laptop so we can back up our pictures. We found WiFi in Peru no problem but hiked the Inca Trail and didn't have the laptop along the trail or at Machu Picchu. There's no power along the trail if you're hiking so no sense carrying extra weight. I haven't been to the other places so can't comment on them.
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Re: Electronics in South America

Postby AdamfromCanada » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:09 pm

immaterialman wrote:Hi there,

I'll be travelling to Patagonia, then Iguazu and on to Peru and down to Santiago (including Macchu Pichu, lake Titicaca and the Atacama) so I'm wondering:
should I take my tablet or notebook?

I'm sure I'll be able to find power outlets to charge, question is, will there be internet access (wifi)? How safe is it?

Thanks,

T

I've found it really nice to have my iPad along on travels. Great for wifi, doesn't take up much space, I can back up my photos on it (unless my trip is over two weeks...then I run out of space - but I take a LOT of photos).

On top of that, I can use the Kobo app to replace books, put movies on it for plane rides, and games that I rarely have time to play when holidaying, but still are nice to have if you ever get bored.

As for South America, I've been in Peru and Ecuador, and I think as IncaTrail50 says, just be smart and be safe and you're unlikely to have any issues. Like anything else expensive you have with you, it could be stolen or lost along the way, but if you don't flaunt it, if you keep it in the safe in your room whenever possible, and if you don't put yourself in dangerous situations, then you'll most likely still have it when you come home.
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Travel Tips