Santiago, Chile

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Santiago, Chile

Postby travelhappiness » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:32 am

Hello,

I am doing the Essential Patagonia trip in November and will be arriving in Santiago 3 days before my trip starts. Does anyone have suggestions on what I should do during my 3 days in that area? I am thinking of going straight from the airport to Valparaiso and spending my 3 days there and in Vino del Mar. Is 3 days too much time for that area and should I consider spending time in Santiago as well?

Thanks
Lucy
travelhappiness
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Santiago, Chile

Postby AdamfromCanada » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:18 pm

travelhappiness wrote:Hello,

I am doing the Essential Patagonia trip in November and will be arriving in Santiago 3 days before my trip starts. Does anyone have suggestions on what I should do during my 3 days in that area? I am thinking of going straight from the airport to Valparaiso and spending my 3 days there and in Vino del Mar. Is 3 days too much time for that area and should I consider spending time in Santiago as well?

Thanks
Lucy

Hi Lucy,

I had an 18 hour layover in Santiago in April. We wandered the city for a couple hours, climbing a big hill (Santa Lucia Hill) in the middle of town for a look around, then caught a bus to a winery tour at the Concha y Toro winery. We finished the day by taking a funicular to the top of the San Cristobal Hill to watch the sunset over the city.

We got both the winery tour and the hop-on, hop-off bus tour with this company: http://www.turistik.cl/?lang=en I think that most of the sites in Santiago are within walking distance, so I don't know if I'd do the hop-on, hop-off again (although be warned, I am a guy that walks a tonne when travelling, so maybe the bus is worth it if you don't like to hoof it all over).

From what I understand, there's maybe more to see and do in Valparaiso, but Santiago is probably worth spending one day in.
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby nomad5 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:24 am

Hi Lucy

I will be doing the same tour! I'm arriving in Santiago 1 day early meaning I have 2 days to spend in Santiago. I am planning on spending the whole time in Santiago and will be staying at the hotel nominated by the tour - if you decide to stay in Santiago for your extra days I'd love to do some sightseeing (using some of the suggestions from Adam?) with you :)

Maddy
nomad5

Postby travelhappiness » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:35 am

Hi Maddy,

I just sent you a private email. Please check that and we can coordinate.

Lucy
travelhappiness

Postby theboogwa » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:22 pm

Hi Lucy,

I am also going on the Essential Patagonia trip in November. I can't wait to go!

-Shea
theboogwa

Postby vincentpaul » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:11 am

List of places to see in Santiago is huge. Some top places that are famous among visitors all around the world are:- The Cerros (Hills), Bella Visa Tourist District, La Moneda & Downtown, The Chile Pre-Colombian Art Museum, Templo Votivo de Maipú, Santa Teresa de los Andes Sanctuary and many more.
vincentpaul

Return to South America