travel bag to bring question

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

travel bag to bring question

Postby manon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:40 am

im doing a tour in Africa. I dont really have to carry my bag on me since most of the time ill be in a jeep.

I was wondering, should i bring a back pack or a simple suitcase like you normally use when u travel.

I need advise from people who did that kind of tour to know what is more appropriate. What does people usually use?

thanks in advance!
Have a great day!

Manon
manon
User Rank: Weekender

Re: travel bag to bring question

Postby IncaTrail50 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:06 pm

They make suggestions in the Trip Details on bag size but that varies in reality. Despite the restrictions on size a few in our group brought enormous bags and had a change of clothes and accessories for every day of the trip! Most brought carry-on sized bags for their clothes, etc, which were left in our tents or stored in the back of the jeep for travel days, then smaller backpacks to bring into the jeep to store sunblock/snacks/cameras/hats/water, ie items that needed to be accessible during the game drives or travel. We used shower-time as laundry time as well so we didn't take many clothes with us. :wink:
Enjoy! It was amazing!
Kim
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby manon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:28 pm

Hi Kim

thanks for your answer! that helps a lot! Im so afraid to bring too much, not enough, lolll

have a great day!
Manon
manon

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:11 am

It's good to be afraid of bringing too much because so many people do.

I like having a large rolling duffel bag as it's easier to dig into and to load into cargo spaces than backpacks but generally not as difficult to fit into cargo spaces as suitcases.

I'm not sure which trip you're on but I've found you rarely need more than 4 pieces of each type of clothing (shirts, shorts/pants, pairs of socks) -- make sure they're pieces you can mix and match so you have far more than 4 combinations. One to wear, one to wash, one to dry and one in case of emergency. Add in your airplane travel clothes and you really should have more than enough to wear.

Try to pack ahead of time so you know when your bag is full then pull everything out and figure out what you can leave behind. Usually your initial pack list is about twice what you really need.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby manon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:08 pm

Hello Explorer Wannabe,

thank you for your answer. im going to Africa, 10 days.

I have a tendency to bring too much too. I will probably have to revise my packing before i leave lol

Manon
manon

Postby AdamfromCanada » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:22 pm

manon wrote:im doing a tour in Africa. I dont really have to carry my bag on me since most of the time ill be in a jeep.

I was wondering, should i bring a back pack or a simple suitcase like you normally use when u travel.

I need advise from people who did that kind of tour to know what is more appropriate. What does people usually use?

thanks in advance!
Have a great day!

Manon

I have always taken a big backpack. My pack has a daypack that straps on to it, which is nice to have for small excursions. Since you're sleeping in a tent, and out in the wild, the big suitcases aren't really ideal. If you take them in to the tent with you, they can take up a lot of your space, and the wheels aren't going to run as well on dirt. Depending on the vehicle you're travelling in, it may be harder to squeeze in to whatever storage space is available too.

With packing I've always liked the rule that when you've brought out everything you think you're going to pack, put about a third of it back away. There's only so much clothing you need. You're out in the wilderness so no one is going to think much about it if a shirt is worn on more than one day and if the trip is a long one, you can probably find a place to do some laundry on the road. Careful about dark colours if you're going to be in places like the Serengeti, because they attract the tsetse flies and their bites are rather unpleasant (I made the mistake of wearing a wildebeest brown shirt my first day there and was a favourite target for a short while).
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby manon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:53 pm

Thanks for the tips Adam.

Manon
manon

Return to Africa and Middle East