Train from Istanbul to Ankara

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Train from Istanbul to Ankara

Postby LesinFL » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:55 pm

I read that the train from Istanbul to Ankara will not run due to major railway construction work. Any idea how we get to Ankara now?
LesinFL
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Train from Istanbul to Ankara

Postby Zuleika » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:56 am

Take the bus - numerous companies do this route. Do a bit of googling to find the best one - Trip advisor website is pretty good for recommendations.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby nirt » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:49 pm

when i first looked at one of the GAP trips in Turkey it said it was an overnight train from Istanbul to Ankara - i see now it looks to be a flight - don't know how much extra that would be? but it must be an option anyways :-)
nirt

Postby kateyb » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:55 pm

I would look into flights. Some of the flights I have taken cost around 30-40 US one way in Turkey. There's lots of competition.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby kat6942 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:50 pm

I booked thinking it would be a train to Cappadocia but got the 12 hour long coach bus instead. It wasn't the best experience of my life but it wasn't the worst either. G was awesome and booked us a Turkish bath in town as soon as we got there so that definitely helped... a lot. I heard from solo travelers that they took the bus there and were willing to spring for the flight on the way back. Most likely I think it will come down to how much you're willing to spend. The bus is more comfortable than a plane and it stops every couple of hours for snack and bathroom breaks, which is great if you need but kind of a pain if you just fell asleep. If you do take the bus, bring 1 TL coins for the W/C and don't forget to pick up Tutku cookies.
kat6942

Return to Europe