Suitcase in amazon

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Suitcase in amazon

Postby lisee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:47 am

Hi!

I've been reading through some discussions about backpack versus suticase and I see that there are different opinions. We are going on the Peru Panorama trip, and have of course backpacks for the inca trail. For the rest however, we were wondering about taking suticases. Reading the description of the tour it seems we'll not be carrying our luggage around a lot, just between transport and accomodation. That makes me think a suitcase with wheels is much more comfortable than a big backpack. Also this suits the rest of our vacation (after the PPP) better... My only issue is the amazon part of the trip. Is it ok to bring a suticase on the trip here? Gap doesn't say anywhere that a suitcase is not allowed, so I would guess it should be alright... Would be nice to here from someone who's been there though :-)
lisee
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Suitcase in amazon

Postby Zuleika » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:33 pm

Ive done the Absolute Peru trip which is pretty similar. Although all of us on my tour had backpack I reckon you would probably be OK with a rolling suitcase - so long as its not too big. Or too heavy. You do have to carry your luggage quite a bit - ie none of the hotels had lifts - lots of stairs! And you would probably need to carry it in and around the jungle.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby francine_16 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:57 pm

I did the absolute Peru trip and from my experience I would really suggest backpacks. I don't recall anyone on that tour having a suitcase. You do have to carry your bag from the boat to your room and the ground may not be the easiest for pushing a suitcase.
francine_16
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby lisee » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:55 am

Thank you! That changed our minds, we'll use backpacks :-)
lisee

Postby tomsmalling » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:50 pm

We did the Absolute Peru trip and when we went to the Amazon it was recommended to only take what we needed. So, we packed enough items on the top of our bags for two days. And when we arrived to Puerto Maldonando they provided duffle bags for us to use and we left our main luggage locked up.
tomsmalling

Postby kris_nyc » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:40 pm

I did the same Peru Panorama trip, and a rolling bag/suitcase is not a problem, as long as you can carry it up a flight of stairs or two in the hotels. For the Amazon, you will have to repack and take just a small bag or daypack for the couple of days that you will be at the lodge. Your large bag/suitcase will be left behind and locked in Puerto Maldonado.

I took a rolling duffel bag and a day pack for the trip, and took just the day pack to the Amazon.
kris_nyc

Postby damianc » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:48 pm

We stopped of someplace to only pack what we needed for the amazon lodge in duffel bags. Checked our main luggage and were given rain boots for the muddy walk. They take the smaller duffel bags and pack them in larger water tight bags for transport. You still carry your day pack.

When we got off the boat, they make you walk about 1.5 miles to canoe, then paddle you out to the lodge. The trail was extremely muddy when we were there. Upon arrival at the lodge, you get the duffel bag.
damianc
User Rank: Traveller

Postby bixxe » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:51 am

hi there,

i'm doing the absolute peru trip and i just can't decide wether to take a suitcase or a backpack.
I did a 2 month trip through Canada and USA on my own with just a big (100 litres) rollable suitcase and a daypack and i was just happy with it.
When i got it right, then there's always an opportunity to leave my suitcase when going for a hike (colcha canyon, lares trek, and amazon jungle in my case). I don't have a problem with getting it on/off busses and planes or up and down in hotels...so i think it is doable for me (male, 24 in good condition) ?!
I would prefer the rollable suitcase and a daypack as i'm going on a round the world trip directly afterwards and i intend to always leave most of it in hostels etc.

So what do you think? Should i perhabs e-mail g-adventures for advice?
thanks for your answers...much appreciated!
bixxe

Postby saor » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:45 pm

I did this trip last year with a suitcase, and found it fine. The only challenge was in one of the hotels, there were what seemed like a lot of stairs, however this had to do with altitude issues more so than the case itself, as one flight of stairs I found, it felt as if I'd just run a 5km race (no exaggeration there). On my trip I was able to bring my suitcase on the canoe to the amazon - our guide at the Amazon brought our bags from the boat up to the bar, so there really were no issues from my point of view.
saor

Return to South America