Accommodation Basic and Standard trips

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Accommodation Basic and Standard trips

Postby swiss83 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:43 am

Hi all,

I want to book a tour in Central or South America. This would be my first time with GAdventures. Does anyone know how big the difference is between the accommodation on the Basic trips and the Standard trips. Are the accommodations on the Basic trips all with shared facilities?

Thanks.

Fabienne
swiss83
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Accommodation Basic and Standard trips

Postby Janice08 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:45 pm

I haven't been on any Basic trips but for the Standard trips your hotel will usually be the equivalant of a 2 start hotel in North America. Once in a while you end up with something fancy but not that often. Don't expect toiletries (except hand soap). The rooms will usually have 2 twin beds or a double bed in them. There may not be any extra room if you like to spread your stuff out. Sometimes the windows face into a courtyard or hallway, other times you may get your own balcony. You'll have your own washroom with a shower but no guarantee that you will get hot water (I've heard that you may not in the better hotels as well, its part of travelling in the developing world). Most hotels have are locked at night for safety so you have to knock on the door to get in.

My understanding of the Basic trips is that you may be staying in multishare some nights but not all. Some nights you may stay in the same hotel as a Standard trip. On my Standard trips we've shared hotels with groups who are on Comfort level trips as well on occassion. However, if some rooms are better than others the other group would have them.

Unless you need the "comforts" of home, pick an itinery that you like and go for it. Keep in mind that sometimes a Standard level trip ends up costing less than a similar Basic trip because so much more is included in it - read the "what's included" carefully so you'll know how much to budget.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean