Galapagos, which islands?

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Galapagos, which islands?

Postby Alpine_Resort » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:02 am

I'm looking at a 10 day tour of the Galapagos and am leaning towards the tour of the Southern Islands. Could those of you who have been there give me some idea of which you would do? Would you do the North western or Southern Islands? I'm torn! I want to see them all but that's not do-able. Help?
Jodi from rural Ontario, Canada
Alpine_Resort
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Re: Galapagos, which islands?

Postby AdamfromCanada » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:53 pm

Alpine_Resort wrote:I'm looking at a 10 day tour of the Galapagos and am leaning towards the tour of the Southern Islands. Could those of you who have been there give me some idea of which you would do? Would you do the North western or Southern Islands? I'm torn! I want to see them all but that's not do-able. Help?

I was in the Galapagos in March/April this year. We started at San Cristobal, then hit Floreana, Isabela and Santa Cruz. We chose the Land Galapagos tour (http://www.gadventures.com/trips/land-galapagosmulti-activities/SEGL/2012/), and there were some nice things about that. There was no worries about people not being able to sleep on a boat, and we were able to go out in the towns in the evening. The islands are all so different when it comes to wildlife variety that there are always going to be some things you don't get to see unfortunately, unless you're very rich and can spend a few months there. We didn't get to see red-footed boobies, Galapagos hawks, albatrosses, flightless cormorants, Galapagos fur seals or land iguanas on our route, but we still saw a huge variety of wildlife - sea lions,sea turtles, marine iguanas, penguins, flamingos, four species of lava lizards, giant tortoises (both in the wild and at a couple of centers), frigatebirds, boobies, countless other seabirds...

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong, but you won't see everything no matter what. I'm now hoping I can make it back someday and go see some of the more remote islands like Wolf and Darwin, but that might be a while before I can do that...
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs