Malaria tablets dilema!

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Malaria tablets dilema!

Postby missedwards » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:16 am

Hi all!! I am going to Chang mai on a trek and it's just below the border of south ast asia, i'm prone to getting eaten alive y mozzys but will have deet spray, mozzy net and wear sensible clothes in the evening to deter bites. My wonder is do I take the malaria tablets just in case even though it is just out of the high risk area?? If so what tablets do you recommend? I heard the expensive ones are the best ... less side effects. Are the tablets antibiotics?

Also I am highly allergic to bites - any sort really i thought I was getting bitten by spiders until I realised I am allergic i'm taking anti histamines as I have 3 weeks to go before i travel now and I find sudocream soothes quite well, anyone else allergic that have discovered a magic cure that I don't know about??

Many thanks in advance xxx
missedwards
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Malaria tablets dilema!

Postby desiree2 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:43 am

Hi
With regards to the malaria tablets the best person to ask would be your doctor, especially given your allergies. On a positive note, my daughter (we live in Australia) seems to act like some sort of magnet for mosquitoes and the lumps are huge BUT she has never been bitten by a mossie the many times she has travelled to SEA. I'm not saying don't take anti-malarials, I'm saying that with a bit of luck the SEA mossies may not find you tasty. :D I've only taken anti-malarials once (trekking through Borneo) and the ones I had acted as an antibiotic - 5 weeks without the sign of a tummy upset!
Lots of discussion on this topic if you search around this site.
Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby ablemanc » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:20 am

Hi!

I travelled Thailand last year - went to Chiang Mai and also Chiang Rai/Mae Sae smack bang on the border of Burma and Laos (we also went into Laos for a few hours) - which is where there are Malaria risks - I was told by my doctor that unless I was doing jungle treks in the area, I wouldn't need Malaria tabs, so I doubt you will for Chiang Mai as it's still quite far from the border area (around 4-6 hours away). I would only consider it if you are planning on doing a jungle trek for more than a week, that goes up towards the border.

As for Mozzies - I got bitten alive and I normally do anyways - but mainly on the areas I didn't cover with repellent (ankles, wrists). Get yourself a product with 50% deet (Jungle Formula extra strong is what I took) and make sure u cover yourself with it at night, remember wrists/ankles etc.

You won't need a mozzie net - they are more hassle than worth and are bulky. Also if your staying in budget accom, maybe get a plug in repellent too. Other than that, as it's very low risk with Malaria - just enjoy Thailand - Mozzies and all! x
ablemanc
User Rank: Weekender

Postby ablemanc » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:24 am

OH and the best treatment for bites - if allergic to antihistamines???

TIGER BALM!

You can get it in Thailand EVERYWHERE - the Thai's swear by it, it was actually my Thai guide that advised to get it - it cures everything. I applied it to my ankle which was swollen massively due to excessive bites and it relieved the swelling and itching. I use it for everything now, one pot lasts forever! Just don't get it in your eye or on broken skin - it hurts like hell!

Xtina
ablemanc

Return to Travel Tips