Go to Myanmar

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Go to Myanmar

Postby desiree2 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:04 pm

Hi
I just returned from a 17 day tour of Myanmar. Unfortunately, not a G trip (although a very good one) as G didn't have an indepth tour at the time I booked.
IMO Myanmar has it all - great people, incredible sights and very few of those pesky tourists!
Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Re: Go to Myanmar

Postby moviegeekjn » Sun May 27, 2012 1:42 pm

Can echo the above sentiments....Went via another agency for a two-week Burma only journey. LOVED it--especially the fact that it currently was NOT over-touristy. However, with the situation in Burma changing currently...it would be best to bump this country much higher on your "to do" list as things appear to be opening up...and more and more tourists are certain to go there in the coming months.
moviegeekjn
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby ssas » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:47 pm

Hi, I'm heading to Myanmar in October this year (G Adventures 14 day tour). I know that ATMs & CC are not accepted but am unsure of how much to budget for. Apparently you have to take small denomination, clean US dollars but how much will I need for 14 days- water, food, souvenirs....?
ssas
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby desiree2 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:49 am

Hi
I read somewhere to take lots of $1 US notes to Myanmar, however, it was completely unneccessary. As you mentioned, make sure the US money is clean, crisp, unmarked etc. I changed at the airport where the exchange rate was on par with everywhere else.
I always overbudget, but I reckon around $30 a day should see you right with food and water. Wont comment on the souvenirs because they can range from trinkets to $1000 pieces of jade. :D If you like ballooning it's offered in Bagan, but you need to book ahead with the balloon company. I didn't find out until I got there so I missed out, but another group member had booked and paid in Australia a couple of months before. It's about $300.
Enjoy
Desiree
desiree2

Return to Travel Tips