An Old Fart on your GAP Adventure??

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: An Old Fart on your GAP Adventure??

Postby wiebler » Wed May 04, 2011 7:18 am

my last trip (Dunes, Delta and Falls) there was a 76 year old lady and she was the funnest person on the trip! Everyone loved her. In fact I am planning on meeting up with her again and travel to SE Asia in March!
wiebler
User Rank: Traveller

Postby AdamfromCanada » Mon May 09, 2011 5:31 pm

wiebler wrote:my last trip (Dunes, Delta and Falls) there was a 76 year old lady and she was the funnest person on the trip! Everyone loved her. In fact I am planning on meeting up with her again and travel to SE Asia in March!

I had a lady the same age on the tour when I did Dunes, Delta & Falls. She was awesome. Slept a lot on the road, but did a great job keeping up and was absolutely a pleasure. Didn't mind roughing it at all, and even had her own little tent.

She was a Kiwi and one of the funniest things I've seen was in Zambia where she danced the Haka as the All-Blacks were going to play our driver's Springboks that day.

There's been at least one person over 55 on every one of the four tours abroad that I've taken. I could only ever complain about one of them, and her not for her age, but for her ignorance and failure to respect others (taking photos of people without asking, asking one of the Germans on the trip if they learn about the Holocaust in school in Germany...and if they teach them it was a bad thing!) She was a bit of a special lady. Good heart, well-intentioned, but completely ignorant.
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby honeytrekker » Mon May 16, 2011 10:26 pm

I'm in the target group you're talking about (31 year old who's done GAP trips since I was 27). My experience with more seasoned travelers has been mixed.

I did the 30 day overland (i.e. camping) Cape Town to Johannesburg GAP trip with a couple in their early seventies. They were fantastic for the first couple of weeks, but I think sleeping in tents for such a long period really wore on them, and they were A LOT less pleasant after week two.

When I did a Machu Pichu trek (not through GAP), we had four people on the other side of 65 in our group. All were in great shape and really enjoyed the trip, camping and all. They had amazing stories from earlier travels (also to now-forbidden places, like you), and were loved by all in our group. Travel tales are travel tales, regardless of the age of the teller, and always entertain other travelers.

On another GAP trip "sailing" through Indonesia, all of the twenty-something passengers abandoned ship (literally! They paid a fishing vessel to ferry them away) when a series of disasters altered our itinerary/boat/location/everything substantially. The only traveler who stayed on with my husband and I was a senior guy who kept us astounded for eight days with his stories of getting his first real passport after the fall of the Berlin Wall, and how he never stopped traveling after! I would go anywhere with him again.

So, basically, I think you will be fine so long as you embark on a trip that suits your comfort level and physical ability - the same guidelines that apply to everyone, regardless of age.

Go out there and enjoy your next adventure as you awe those around you with stories of your past ones!
honeytrekker
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby moorsy1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:53 am

Hey bigfeet. I wouldnt let age put you off at all with travelling, I think everyone who books trips like what Gap adventures arrange are all singing off the same sheet. We like to experience culture, hear the noises, smell the smells, taste the local foods etc etc etc so age is not a factor. The younger you are the older you are its all the same when experiencing the sun rise from the top of a mountain in the early hours. The main thing is that everyone gets on and just accepts the experience for what it is - an experience. Im 38 and I will hopefully continue to travel forever, even after they have hammered the last 9 inch nail in me coffin. Enjoy the ride!!
moorsy1

Postby biannec » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:14 pm

Hi Mr. Seasoned Traveler,
I myself went exploring in Peru this summer. I joined up with G Adventures for 10 days. It was my 50th birthday gift to myself. By the way, I am single too (may he rest in peace) and now travel solo. I thought I might end up being the oldest but it ended up 6 people were way older than me and I was sort of in between! It was great. Age played abosolutely no role in this wonderful trip. I hope you'll jump in and start traveling again! Life is too short.

Bianne
biannec

Previous

Return to Travel Tips