Lunch in Eastern Croatia

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Lunch in Eastern Croatia

Postby kirstenrose » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:18 am

I've recently visited the Baranja County in Eastern Croatia, which is truly wonderful place to go! Here is my blog entry reviewing the experience at a home hosted lunch and a selection of photographs.

http://jumbleofletters.wordpress.com/20 ... l-croatia/

:)
kirstenrose
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Lunch in Eastern Croatia

Postby Zuleika » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Hi Kirsten -
I too had such an experience - although I was on the more touristy western coast - we were driving up to the Plitvice Lakes national park and our tour leader asked if we would like to go off the beaten track and have a meal at his parents house more inland. We all were very keen to go.
They too had a small holding, this was off the beaten traack but not far from where we were travelling through.
They too grow all their own fruit and veg and keep farm animals. They make their own cheese, wine, liqueurs and their own olive oil. All of which we were able to taste and buy - it was heavenly.
All the food was cooked over a giant flat open fire in the kitchen beneath the house. It was really something to see - and we had a feast to top all feasts and to boot the whole family was welcoming and sooooo lovely, even though they couldnt speak English this was no barrier.
It was the best experience of our whole trip and not part of the itinerary at all (not a G trip thou - sorry!) but if any of you get the chance to do this in Croatia I wholeheartedly recommend it - this is the REAL Croatia, not the beach resorts.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Re: Lunch in Eastern Croatia

Postby kirstenrose » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:11 am

Hey! It sounds like you had a very similar experience to mine, isn't it just wonderful when an opportunity arises to take part in something so special and I feel like the locals are so excited to share their cooking with tourists as well! Definitely agree that is it the real Croatia (though I never went to the West coast as I moved on to Hungary afterwards).
kirstenrose

Return to Europe