iphone/table/camera....HELP!!!

If it's not related to travel it goes here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

iphone/table/camera....HELP!!!

Postby hayley.anne » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:43 am

hi all.
having huge deliberations what to take technology wise away with me. im travelling on my own for 3 months round asia, incl bali, hong kong and japan.

should i take my iphone with me?

whats the best thing to do with camera and photos? is it best to upload to a hardrive memory stick?

anu suggestions would be gratfully received!!!!!

thank you :D
hayley.anne
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: iphone/table/camera....HELP!!!

Postby kateyb » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:28 am

I took my iphone with me to SE Asia and there is plenty of wifi around where I could send emails off. I never bothered with getting a sim card for it. i also had my ipad with me too and I loved having it with me.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:08 pm

First, take twice as much memory and batteries as you think you'll need for the camera. I would tend to want to have a tablet PC with me for a trip that long but your mileage may vary -- you have to think about how much you want to carry the weight and bulk of the tablet for 3 months.

You will likely run out of memory card space over 3 months of travel so I would set up a file server account that you can use to upload your pictures and clear out your card. Even a USB memory stick is likely to be very limiting.

You probably also want to set up a throw-away e-mail account that you can use while traveling and to link into the photoserver so a keylogger at an Internet cafe or hostel wifi network could only access your traveling e-mail or photos and nothing else.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby Zuleika » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:53 pm

Yes take your iphone, wifi is good and so you can email easily.
I would take loads of cards for my camera and when run out buy as you go - its cheap out there.
Keep your cards in your money belt when used so they dont get stolen though.
And always keep your moneybelt on you or in safety deposit box.
You could load up to a USB as a back up but these arent as big as you will need.

Loading up online can be notoriously slow (partic if you have big a mp camera) as internet connections can be dodgy in some parts of these countries, I personally wouldnt bother with that - Id rather be out exploring than spending hours in the internet cafe.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika

Postby hommeng » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:14 pm

Yeap, i think iphone will be useful, and take as much batteries and memory as you can.
hommeng

Return to Off-topic