VISA at Nairobi's Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA)

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

VISA at Nairobi's Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA)

Postby sobis01 » Thu May 24, 2012 10:46 am

Hi - Is the VISA easy to be obtained at the Nairobi's Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA)? Or shoud I order it prior to my trip?

In July, I'll be arriving Nairobi's international airport at 930pm. Since it's a later flight, will I be able to still obtain my VISA? Is it opened 24 hours? How long does it take to get the VISA?

Thanks!
Sharon
sobis01
User Rank: Weekender

Re: VISA at Nairobi's Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA)

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Thu May 24, 2012 6:32 pm

Don't bother getting a visa ahead of time. It's pretty quick and easy getting it at the airport. People who got their visas ahead of time didn't seem to save any time and I think they even paid a little more than I did because the price for a visa dropped a couple months before I went.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Re: VISA at Nairobi's Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (J

Postby ritaoz » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:53 am

How much is a visa at the Nairobi airport? What currency do you pay in? I am from Australia.
Rita
ritaoz
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby ritaoz » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:01 am

Also, I forgot to ask, my friend will have her visa already, and I will not and need to get one. Do we go in different lines, or do we each have to wait for each other? Wondering how long its all going to take.
Thanks
ritaoz

Postby sobis01 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:25 am

At the Nairobi airport, the VISA was US$50. I arrived about 9pm and there wasn't any line; another GAdventures traveler arrived mid-day and there was longer waiting line (15 to 30 minutes). There were two lines: one for VISA needed and another for passport control with VISAs already. After theses lines, you head to baggage claims so it'll be easy for you and your friend to reconnect.

To speed up the process, either have your VISA form completed prior to arrival or have the information handy to fill out the form at the airport. For me, completing the form took longer than getting the VISA.

If I'd be doing it again, I would get both Tanzania and Kenya VISAs on airport arrival and save on the handling fees.

During our Safari, we crossed the Kenya to Tanzania boarder. Three of the other passengers didn't have their Tanzania VISAs yet and it was quick for them too.

Happy travels!
Sharon
sobis01

Postby AdamfromCanada » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:53 pm

ritaoz wrote:How much is a visa at the Nairobi airport? What currency do you pay in? I am from Australia.
Rita

You need US Dollars for the visa. I'm pretty sure I paid $50 last time in as well, but you should look it up on government's travellers website, as there is sometimes a discrepancy between what various countries are asked to pay (ie. Canadians seem to pay more than anyone else to get in to Zimbabwe & Turkey).

As mentioned above, it is very quick and easy to get the visa at the airport and I really wouldn't bother doing it ahead of your arrival.
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby ritaoz » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:36 am

Thanks Adam and Sharon, that is very helpful, and now I feel less worried that I wont be getting my visa before hand. Rita
ritaoz

Postby pattik » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:43 pm

Hi....I am Canadian arriving in Kenya on oct 8 and plan on getting my visa at the airport in nairobi.does anybody know if I am required to bring extra passport pictures? Also are visa forms available at airport? :?
pattik

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:03 pm

It's always helpful to keep one or two spare passport pictures with you just in case but you shouldn't need it for the Kenyan visa. Forms are available on a couple of side tables before you arrive at the passport control officer.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby astralcompanion » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Does a single entry visa for Kenya include entry to/exit from Tanzania? I am travelling KE > TZ > KE.
"Two great talkers will not travel far together." -- Spanish Proverb
astralcompanion
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:14 pm

astralcompanion wrote:Does a single entry visa for Kenya include entry to/exit from Tanzania? I am travelling KE > TZ > KE.

You'll need a visa for Tanzania as well unless you're on a stopover and not leaving the airport. We did the Kenya/Tanzania Wildlife Adventure and got our Tanzanian visas at the border when we crossed into Tanzania.
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Return to Africa and Middle East