Assistance with Essential India AHEH tour

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Assistance with Essential India AHEH tour

Postby garnet » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:23 am

Hi All,

I'm pretty close to booking the Essential India tour for February 2013 - however, I'm looking for some advice (more like reassurance haha) before I seal the deal, so to speak.

1. Hotels: I've searched extensively and cannot find a recent list of accommodations for the cities that this tour covers (except for Sisley Boutique in Dehli). I contacted G Adventures' help-line, only to be told that they only share this information at the beginning of each tour (as they have a pool of hotels/heritage properties to choose from). Would someone be kind enough to share this information so I can check out the reviews?

2. Insects: how is the bug (in particular spider) situation in the hotel rooms, trains, leisurely evening strolls, outdoor cafes. I am trying to mitigate the creepy crawly/flying coachroach issue by booking during the "dry" season, when the night temps are low. Am I fooling myself? I would love to hear from my fellow arachnophobic travellers :o).

3. Logistics: I know they will attempt to pair me with another solo female...however, what if no one is available (only males left or odd number of female solos)? Would I be forced to pay for the "my own room" single supplement? Any positive/negative experiences you can share?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Mel
garnet
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Assistance with Essential India AHEH tour

Postby desiree2 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:01 pm

Hi
I did this tour about 4 years ago - no complaints at all about the accommodation. Maybe someone who has been more recently will be able to give you the names of the hotels in which they stayed, but there's no guarantee that they will be the same hotels you stay in.
I can't remember any spiders at all. I have a real (but stupid) fear of cockroaches but the only ones I remember were the small ones on the overnight train which didn't bother me.
On my trip we had an odd number of females so one woman got to have a room to herself. When I went to Sabah/Sarawak I was the odd one so got a room to myself for free. On another trip with an odd number of women, the guide gave each of us a turn in single rooms at no cost.
Either way, if you are lucky enough to be the only solo female and are given a single room, it will be at no extra cost.
Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby garnet » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:25 pm

Hi Desiree,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate the information about the critter situation and how the odd number single was handled during your tour.
garnet

Postby Praha335Ci » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:04 pm

I did this tour in 2010 and did not notice and insects at the accomodation at all. Overall its pretty decent. With regards to the room sharing if there are a few odd single travellers they tend to discuss amongst themselves and rotate the single room throughout the tour.
Praha335Ci
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby sophbl » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:09 pm

Did you book for Feb 2013? I am going at the beginning of March. Also was wondering on some questions if anyone could help.

1) Rucksack with wheels (the rucksack bit being very uncomfortable to use for long periods of time) or normal backpacking rucksack (more comfortable as a rucksack but no other option but to carry it). Also let me add I'm a girl and quite petite and weak. I used the rolling rucksack in Bali and it was perfect but in Malaysia it was a massive pain in the arse as all the pavements had steps going up and down every few feet and also walking along the beach was bad.

2) I'm wondering what sort of clothing to bring for the temperature as its snowing at home so getting things for higher temps is proving a little tricky. I will buy some things out there but just want some basics to start me off (im travelling with a friend for 4 weeks before I hit the tour).
sophbl

Return to Asia