Canadians In Africa - Travel/Tourist Visa Tips?

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Canadians In Africa - Travel/Tourist Visa Tips?

Postby mecheung » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:44 am

Hello!
My husband and I will doing the 54 Day Ultimate Africa trip (October 9 - Dec 2, 2012). I was hoping any Canadians who have been to Africa could help us out with visa info as we can't seem to find a straight answer from the embassy sites or the Government of Canada travel site for the 4 countries we know require us to purchase visas. These countries are:
Zambia
Tanzania
Kenya
Uganda

We know FOR SURE we need to get the Tanzanian visa prior to leaving Canada. But the other three seem to imply they are obtainable at the border but we have not found anything definitive on that. Any Canadians who have been to any of these countries have some info they could share?
mecheung
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Canadians In Africa - Travel/Tourist Visa Tips?

Postby ballu » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:57 am

I was there in 2009 and all visas when I was there were obtainable at the border...all cost $50 USD.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby darlinggirl » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:23 pm

Fellow Canadian here...I was in Kenya/Uganda/Tanzania in Jan/Feb of this year. Flew into Nairobi and got the Kenyan visa at the airport, when crossing into Uganda and Tanzania I got the visa at the border as well with no problems, just a bit of waiting.

I think you have to get the Zambian visa ahead of time, but because I didn't go there I don't know for sure.

Good luck, you'll have an amazing time!
darlinggirl
User Rank: Traveller

Postby kateyb » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:08 pm

You can get the Zambian visa at the border.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby btomlin » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:24 pm

I travelled through Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania in Jan 2012. I got all of the visas at the borders, no problems. The land crossing from Kenya to Tanzania was a bit tedious...go through this line, then go over to that building...then come back here to this line and wait for your name to be called...but it was simple and no advantage to getting it done in advance because you will always be waiting for others in the group that don't have there.

I dont know about Zambia...

Have an amazing trip!
btomlin

Postby Zuleika » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:46 pm

When you get Zambia at the border but you need an american 50 dollar note.
I would recommend that you have the right money in US dollars for every crossing also.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby AdamfromCanada » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:44 pm

Zuleika wrote:When you get Zambia at the border but you need an american 50 dollar note.
I would recommend that you have the right money in US dollars for every crossing also.

Seconded. Take US Dollars for border crossings and emergencies, but get your visas there, because you'll pay a lot more to get it done here, and there will be a considerable wait to get it back from all the embassies. I always take a couple of extra passport photos just in case rules change at any of the border crossings, but have never needed them. I've been in eight East & Southern African countries, including all the ones you are visiting and was able to obtain them with no problem at the border for all of them.
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada

Return to Travel Tips