Bhutan & Nepal

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Bhutan & Nepal

Postby mazoe » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:59 pm

Has anyone been to bhutan or nepal recently. i would like to talk to you. jeni
mazoe
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Bhutan & Nepal

Postby PaulTeolis » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:18 pm

yes...in 2008,2009 for bhutan...
what do you need to know.
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby moviegeekjn » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:54 pm

Visited Nepal in 2008 and Bhutan in 2009... Two of my favorites
moviegeekjn
User Rank: Nomad

Postby mazoe » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:52 pm

PaulTeolis wrote:yes...in 2008,2009 for bhutan...

Hi again, sorry it took so long to answer. Need to know,what months did you go, conditions, weather, luggage, food. Anything you can tell me. I am going next May. Thanks
mazoe

Postby mazoe » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:54 pm

moviegeekjn wrote:Visited Nepal in 2008 and Bhutan in 2009... Two of my favorites

Thanks, need to ask about weather, food, conditions, weather, and anything thing you can think of, i am going next May. When did you go.
mazoe

Postby moviegeekjn » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:39 pm

I visited Nepal in March and Bhutan the following February. Didn't need anything more than a medium jacket at that time. As far as weather for May, you can check climate/weather via Internet sources pretty easily to get a better idea of that.

I always travel light so never have all that much luggage--neither place requires "formal" wear, so traveling relatively light in such outdoor/trekking venture is recommended. Much depends on your preferences when it comes to luggage.

Money isn't a major obstacle in Nepal. Larger metro areas should have sufficient ATMs though you may have to hit 2-3 banks before finding one that works for you. Bhutan is a VERY different situation, however. You must take enough cash into the country for spending purposes--U.S. $$ or Nepal/India rupees are all acceptable. No ATMs in Bhutan and very few places will accept credit cards. You may be able to have money wired to you but that would be a hassle; just bring enough cash with you.

I had no problems with the food in either country and liked it quite a bit.. even found a recipe to make Bhutan's traditional dish (chile cheese) that I can make at home since I liked it quite a bit (I like spicy food). You are pretty certain to eat w/ travel group in Bhutan, so most all meals will be buffet style--they are simple. They don't make them as traditionally spicy for tourists, so IF you want to eat like the locals you will need to work at convincing them to make it spicier (they will smile, laugh, and watch you closely).

Nepal will have more variety available for food, and you will be eating more in restaurants so more choices are available. Cuisine is pretty similar to India.
moviegeekjn

Postby PaulTeolis » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:47 pm

i have been to bhutan during september, october, november and december.
the harvest is usually in early october, so going in september everything was lush and
green and the weather was fantastic. As you get later in the year, post harvest, the nights
can be a little cooler, but the days are very autumnish. Just layer and you will be fine.

Food is great. I love the local dishes and since the hotels are government run, food caters
to all walks of life. vegetarians to meat eaters.

I would highly recommend attending a religious festival at one of the monasteries. I have been to
several. I believe april in the Paro festival, I don't know if it drifts into May. Most revolve around the tibetan calendar.

US dollars everywhere are excepted. Visa, more difficult outside the city, but I gather this is
probably changing although look into that first. If you venture to the east of the country, well
worth the long drive, things are simpler fewer foreigners as well.

great country..will be returning again.
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis

Postby marnie_12 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:16 am

Hi I went to Nepal for 4 weeks in December last year. It's an amazing country and you'll have so many unforgettable experiences but there are a few things you should be prepared for:
1. There is no such thing as a warm shower only scolding hot or cold, although that may just be where I was staying
2. Make sure you always use water purification tablets. Bottles of water are generally safe but the pollution is so bad that it's better not to add to the rubbish piles. Oh and always use a water bottle not tap water when washing your teeth.
3. Everyone spits in Kathmandu
4. Make sure you keep an eye on the Nepalese news. Strikes still occur banning all transportation and shops from opening. If this occurs the best thing to do is be patient and read a good book
5. If you're going trekking make sure you bring boot that cover your ankles
It really is an amazing place and I can't wait to go back. Have fun :)
marnie_12
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby chardonais » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:21 am

Hi Jeni,

I was in Nepal and Bhutan this past April - 2nd time for Nepal, 1st to Bhutan.

Nepal was very warm with temperatures close to 30C each day. Bhutan was quite a bit cooler, although I think we were a little unlucky with the weather - overcast and drizzly, although not so much as to stop us from doing anything. You should take a warm jacket (or at the very least layers) as you do go to some high elevation in Bhutan, and even a slight breeze makes it cool.

Money - readily available in Nepal with numerous money changers and ATM's, in particular in Thamel. Bhutan was a little trickier - there is an ATM in Paro (where the airport is), and I would assume in Thimpu. You won't need a lot of money in Bhutan, however, just for drinks, souvenirs. Food, lodging and entrance fees are all taken care of in the daily rate charged. I found souvenirs to be quite expensive and a lot of it said "Made in Nepal" so I didn't purchase a lot (postcards, pillow covers and fabric).

Luggage can be quite varied. I have a wheeled backpack that worked fine, others had backpacks and duffels. There's not a lot of walking with your luggage, so as long as you can carry it from the airport to transportation, you should be fine.

Food in Nepal is varied - Indian, Chinese, Western, Nepali - pretty much anything you want is available in Thamel. You will be eating in restaurants and cafes - many of the hotels offer breakfast for an additional cost, I found it cheaper to just go down the road to a cafe for an omelet or toast. The main meals in bhutan are all buffet style and are varied in the type of food offered. We had Thai, Indian - but my favorite was Bhutanese, in particular the chili and cheese (as mentioned above - can I get the recipe? :) Buffet style did get a little tiresome after a while, so we did take a break one night and paid out of pocket for some pizza.

Bhutan is a beautiful country with a much higher quality of hotels than I was expecting (we even had towel warmers in Thimpu!). It is also extremely clean and very well looked after. The people are friendly, not overbearing at all, you can look in a store without being bothered.

Nepal is where my heart will always be. Kathmandu is dirtier and more chaotic than Bhutan (although nothing compared to India if you've been lol), the people are just as friendly, but be prepared to do more haggling and it's tough to leave a shop without buying something. Nepal is beautiful, colourful, musical, tragic, and heartwarming. My favorite place...

If you would like to know about any particular spots, let me know adn I'll try to help out. And yes, Tiger's Nest is as amazing in person as it is in pictures!

Dianna

chardonais

Postby mazoe » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:22 pm

PaulTeolis wrote:yes...in 2008,2009 for bhutan...

Hi Paul.
Did you trek in Bhutan? Where you with gadventures? Tell me about food along the way please
thanks mazoe
mazoe

Maldives

Postby mazoe » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:34 pm

Have you been to the maldives? Tell me about being on the Dhoni please mazoe
mazoe

Postby moviegeekjn » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:35 pm

Did Bhutan with G Adventures--no long treks. Usual manner for food throughout Bhutan was buffet style. It was good quality, filling--usually rice, vegetable, meat dishes. Specialty for Bhutan is chili cheese...but you will have to really convince them if you want it as spicy as natives do (they tone it down for tourists).
moviegeekjn

Return to Asia