Is Egypt Safe To Travel Right Now?

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Is Egypt Safe To Travel Right Now?

Postby natalieheartstravel » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:23 pm

I am going to Egypt soon, with gadventures, but with all of the political instability, I am nervous. Is it safe to travel to Egypt during this time? I'm sure I'm just worrying for nothing, but travelers opinions are nice.
natalieheartstravel
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Is Egypt Safe To Travel Right Now?

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:41 pm

The guides are very adept at keeping the tour group out of harm's way. Even in the trip details you'll see that the itinerary may change depending on circumstances as they arise. We were picking up camping supplies in Arusha when our guide told us to get back to the van because people were gathering out front. They are very aware of their surroundings where we might not notice.

If you are booked then go. If it gets too dangerous the trip will be canceled. I work in a hospital Blood Bank in a bad area of town. One night we were watching the SWAT team surround us as our ER got locked down due to a man inside with a shotgun. While we waited in darkness a co-worker asked me how I could possibly consider going to Africa because it was so unsafe :o I asked if she'd looked out the window lately :shock: I felt safer in Africa as it turned out :wink:
Sometimes it isn't safe to cross the street. So do you stay on this side of the street or venture beyond and see what life has to offer? *flute trill*
Just MHO
Kim
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby kateyb » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:24 pm

Lots of people are traveling there still. Listen to the advise of the people who work at your hotel, they might tell you what area to avoid if any, especially when there are demonstrations. But unless there is a government warning not to travel at all in the area, I would go in a heartbeat!
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby wachteramanda » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:51 pm

I am going to Egypt in November. Not sure if you are going with a Gadventure tour group, but if not then you should look into it. My entire family has been trying to talk me out of this trip because of what you see on TV. I called the state department website and it put my mind to ease quite a bit. They said that there are NO travel warnings for Egypt. People that I have talked to have also told me that the media is making it out to be worse than it is because its so politically charged. The state department told me that I should be safe if I am with a group, dress appropriatly, and am aware of my surroundings.
wachteramanda

Postby moviegeekjn » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:32 pm

Going with an established travel agency like G Adventures should be sufficiently safe. If not, they wouldn't be operating the trip--they do use a great deal of caution and rely on locals for accuracy.

I traveled to Egypt a few years before the recent governmental "transition" with a locally based tour group (not G Adventures) and would strongly advise any first time Egyptian tourists to contract with "someone" beforehand... If you merely go to Egypt without prior arrangements, you will be besieged in chaos with tons of tourist-related offers and will have some difficulties navigating through security checkpoints, etc.
moviegeekjn
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to Africa and Middle East