Kilimanjaro Trek: ADVICE PLEASE :)

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Kilimanjaro Trek: ADVICE PLEASE :)

Postby lizzie0506 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi everyone,

Was wondering if anyone is climbing Kilimanjaro around the same dates as me/in the same group? Machame 8 day trek DTM8 leaving 7th July 2012.

Would be great to meet people !

Does anyone have any good tips for climbing Kilimanjaro? This is my first big adventure and would really appreciate any advice

Thanks xxx
lizzie0506
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Kilimanjaro Trek: ADVICE PLEASE :)

Postby mikebeb » Sun May 13, 2012 4:19 pm

Hey, I did the Machame route in February of 2010 and it is absolutely amazing. You will have a great journey.

Things I noticed on the trip:

When you first wake, usually around 6/6.30am, it is pretty darn cold. However, as soon as the sun fully rises and you start walking you will soon feel the heat and will have to strip off some layers.

My group stopped for quite a few breaks throughout the day and every time you do, you feel the cold. Especially on days 4 and 5 so make sure you have a layer handy to throw on, even if it's just for 10 minutes.

Day 2 was a particularily tough day for me. There was a lot of false summits just before the lunch break and it is quite steep.

Only 1 of our 7 didn't manage to make it all the way upto Uhuru Peak. She was taking 2 doses of diamox a day like some people suggest. This meant she was up at night quite a bit using the toilet, which left her feeling very tired due to the lack of sleep. I just used the 1 tablet a day and was absolutely fine in terms of altitude sickness.

Everyone that has climbed Kili will tell you the same thing, but walk as slowly as you want. My group were last to reach the camps on nearly everyday, but 6 out of 7 summited so what does it matter how long you take getting to each camp.

Don't just take a DSLR. This was my biggest regret. Everytime I wanted to take a photo I had to stop, take my bag out, find the right lens etc. Make sure you have a point-and-shoot to accompany your main camera, along with plenty of SD cards.

Going down was very tough. I was pretty exhausted from reaching the top so this may have played a part in my complete loss of balance, but on the way down from Uhuru Peak the rocks are extremely loose. I fell nearly every other step. Getting down the mountain on the last 2 days is also difficult because there are a lot of tree roots sticking out of the ground that you can easily slip on.

Don't wear a baseball cap unless it has one of those things that protect your neck. I burnt my neck terribly and that was pretty painful. Invest in a wide brimmed hat.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.
mikebeb
User Rank: Weekender

Postby thecakeisalie » Mon May 21, 2012 3:57 pm

mikebeb wrote:Don't just take a DSLR. This was my biggest regret. Everytime I wanted to take a photo I had to stop, take my bag out, find the right lens etc. Make sure you have a point-and-shoot to accompany your main camera, along with plenty of SD cards.

Am I the only one that hikes with a camera around his neck the whole time? Nothing against the point-and-shoot, but if you've invested in a DSLR you might as well use it as often as possible.

mikebeb wrote:Don't wear a baseball cap unless it has one of those things that protect your neck. I burnt my neck terribly and that was pretty painful. Invest in a wide brimmed hat.

Sunblock. Lots of sunblock. Even when wearing a wide brimmed hat, lather up face, neck and ears.

Lots of other good advice above, I'll just add one more thing: try to eat as much as possible on the way up, even if you don't feel hungry. Your appetite may wane with altitude, but the calories are important. Good point made by mikebeb about the importance of rest, and how short breaks can be quite helpful. Kili is more about willpower than it is about strength. Good luck and have fun!
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby mikebeb » Tue May 22, 2012 4:25 pm

I hear what you're saying thecakeisalie. You may as well get the best possible shots you can on this once in a life time trip.

For me though, this was the first DSLR I had owned and the first time I'd of been hiking with it. I was climbing Kili before my safari and Zanzibar and I know I'd of been upset if I wasn't able to take some high quality photos throughout my entire trip because I dropped it or something.

I think a point-and-shoot would be a good substitute for taking photos whilst on the go. I had my DSLR out at every break, which seemed to come around quite often. I don't remember seeing many people walking with their camera round their neck. I think it depends on how confident you are with your balance, remembering that at high altitude you are more susceptible to fatigue, drowsiness and dizziness.

I wholeheartedly agree with the sunblock. My burnt neck could have been totally avoided if I'd slapped on loads of high factor sun cream.
mikebeb

Postby lizzie0506 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:33 pm

Thank you for your advice. Really really appreciate it!
lizzie0506

Postby traveloworld » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:35 am

Hi,
Really helpful information for Kilimanjaro trek.
traveloworld

Return to Travel Tips