Indochina Encompassed

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Indochina Encompassed

Postby onyx007 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:11 am

Hi fellow travellers
Three weeks ago I returned from this amazing 29 Day-Trip, which is also available in three parts;
Bangkok to Hanoi, Hanoi to Saigon and Saigon back to Bangkok. Our group had a great time and it was a wonderful journey. Here some advice:

The joining hotel in Bangkok, the "Bangkok Centre Hotel" charges a ridiculous amount for their WIFI, but just around the corner on the main street is a much cheaper Internet Café.
If you arrive early and don't have a clou where to go take the public bus no. 53 (just in front of the "Family Mart" on the main street). This bus will you take for only 6.50 Baht direct to the Royal Palace and also further on to the backpacker area of Kao San Road.

By the way if you arrive at a "normal" time at the airport, don't bother to look for a bus (there is no bus), go directly to the train station and take the regular train, change at Makassan to the subway and this journey will cost you only 64 Baht in total. If you take a taxi to the city it should only cost you 500 Baht. Go with a taxi with meter or make a deal before you get in one; a couple paid for their taxi 1500 Baht!

The dinner on your train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is fine, but you might bring along something for the morning, as our train arrived with a delay of 2 1/2 hours in Chiang Mai (instead of 8 am at 10.30 am).

If your tourguide gives you the option in Chiang Mai to go to "Tiger Kingdom". It's amazing. It's a petting zoo, where you can go in to the paddocks and play with different sizes of tigers (depends on the price you're willing to pay).

In Luang Prapang the “Ziplining” is great fun and the ride and bathing with the elephants is just amazing. Check out the terrace of the UTOPIA-Bar.

In Hue we had the great opportunity to do our included tours and some more sights on a back of a motorbike like the locals are used to ride.

If you’re a shopaholic prepare for Hoi An in Vietnam. They have 400 tailorshops there and some of our group had to buy another bag or even ship their shopping back home. The bikeride is great as well; some of us had the opportunity to ride a waterbufallo.

And finally it’s allright to bring your own laptop. In most of the hotels they have free WIFI, even in Vietnam, but there (except in Saigon) Facebook is blocked, but I downloaded something and it worked fine. But they have computers in the hotel lobby and on this computers Facebook is available.

If you have any questions regarding this trip, just write me.
onyx007
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Indochina Encompassed

Postby sofilexie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:35 am

Hi. I am going on the second leg of this trip which is Essential Vietnam and Cambodia (AVEV) on July 10th. I saw your post and wanted to know if you could tell me about the hotels you stay at in vietnam and cambodia, do they have lifts/ elevators? I am debating whether to bring a Backpack or a duffel, i have back problems so i would rather do the rolling duffel.

Also you mentioned in Hoi An people mailed clothes they got made at the tailor shops. Do you know how much it cost them to mail them? and also if it was simple to do so?

-S
sofilexie
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Indochina Encompassed

Postby onyx007 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:14 pm

sofilexie wrote:Hi. I am going on the second leg of this trip which is Essential Vietnam and Cambodia (AVEV) on July 10th. I saw your post and wanted to know if you could tell me about the hotels you stay at in vietnam and cambodia, do they have lifts/ elevators? I am debating whether to bring a Backpack or a duffel, i have back problems so i would rather do the rolling duffel.

Also you mentioned in Hoi An people mailed clothes they got made at the tailor shops. Do you know how much it cost them to mail them? and also if it was simple to do so?

-S

Let me think. I had a rolling suitcase with me and only in Laos I wished for a bagpack. No, every hotel in Vietnam and Camodia had elevators, at some places you'll have to get it up some small steps to the lobby, but you'll not have any problem with a duffel.

I don't know about the cost of the mailing as I didn't had something but I think it was quite reasoneable. There are also different open (Airmail or SeaMail, the second will take about three month but is the cheapest). Our guide organised the mailpeople to show up at the hotel on the last morning with packages so it was quite easy, but I have seen another group doing it directly at the tailor shop.
onyx007

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs