Layover in Paris

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Layover in Paris

Postby xtina25 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:28 pm

Later this month I'm headed to Turkey (yay!) but have a 7hr layover in Paris (CDG). Anyone tried leaving the airport and doing something in this much time?

Thanks for any advice!
My travel and art history blog: http://daydreamtourist.com/
xtina25
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Layover in Paris

Postby onyx007 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:27 am

I never had a layover in Paris, but I was about three times there on a day trip (with the train from Switzerland) and had each time around 8 hours in this great city.

Just this much:
Make some plans, but decide only at the time of your arrival in Paris (you might have a delay and then the 7 hours will shrink to a risky timing). And the 7 hours start probably with your arrival time and ends with your departure time? If yes, then cut at least another hour to get out of your airplane and re-enter the terminal...and you'll need around 1 hour from the airport to the city centre, so you might have to consider that you'll have only time for two or three sights.

There is always a long waiting line at the Eiffel tower to climb it, so I suggest to see "Sacre Coeur", the "Arc de Triomphe"(at the Champs-Elysee-Avenue, there you have as well a great view over the city from the top of it) and the "Notre Dame"-Cathedrale. All this sights are easy reachable by metro.

But it might be that they have guided tours available at the airport for people like you.
onyx007
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Layover in Paris

Postby xtina25 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:04 pm

It was really easy to get into Paris for a few hours. We ended up eating lunch in the heart of the city, wandering through Notre Dame, getting pastries and people watching along the Seine. I was so jet lagged, that's about all I could manage. :)
My travel and art history blog: http://daydreamtourist.com/
xtina25

Return to Europe