BEST OF THE USA TOUR—SAN FRAN TO SAN FRAN (NUFB)

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

BEST OF THE USA TOUR—SAN FRAN TO SAN FRAN (NUFB)

Postby nomadickiwi » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:58 am

I'm seeking suggestions on type of clothing needed for the USA climate from 30 June 2012 for this tour. Never be in the USA before so unaware of the 'hotness & coldness' I'm expected to experience in the different regions. Flying into San Fran from New Zealand.

Are there any 'MUSTS'' to do/see along the tour on the free days- New Orleans, New York, San Francisco or in any of the National Parks- any trials that are excellent for adventuring along.

After completing the tour I'll be in San francisco for six days (where are the best highlight?) after which I will then be doing the PACIFIC COAST HIGHWAY & THE NORTHWEST (NUFS).
Thanks
nomadickiwi
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: BEST OF THE USA TOUR—SAN FRAN TO SAN FRAN (NUFB)

Postby thecakeisalie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Holy smokes, those are loaded questions! You're covering so much ground and so many different climates that you will quite literally have to prepare for anything (although snow is not likely, but even in summer temperatures can dip to freezing in places like Yellowstone and the Tetons). San Francisco is notoriously cool year round, so while temps in the rest of California will most likely be in the 80s or 90s, SF hovers in the 60s. Death Valley can be absurdly hot (as well as the bottom of the Grand Canyon if you get that far) reach 110-120 degrees in the middle of summer. I'll leave it to you to do the conversions to Celsius, but you'll probably agree that's ridiculous heat... so take heed on the advice about hydration, rest, and exhaustion when visiting those parks. As you make your way east and across the south, expect warm temps and high humidity. Shorts and t-shirts are all you need here, even at night. As you make your way north and then again west across the middle of the country, the weather becomes a crapshoot again. It could be hot and humid like the south, or it could be cool and dry. Or rainy. Or thunderstorms and tornadoes. Or perfectly pleasant. Or any combination of the above, all in one day. Get my meaning? It will definitely get cooler in the mountains as you go further west, but days should still be warm.

So here's what I suggest: Most of your trip should be on the warm to hot scale, so that's how I would plan most of my wardrobe. I would then throw in a fleece and a light rain jacket. Since you're spending extra time in SF you'll probably want pants there and probably some long sleeve attire. Nothing winter related necessary. If you want to bring nicer clothes for going out in cities that's up to you, but I don't know how much luggage you plan on brining. You probably won't have time to do any serious backcountry hiking so I imagine a pair of cross trainers and a pair of sandals would be all you need for footwear. There are great day hikes in all of the National Parks and if you feel like you need boots then bring them. As I mentioned before though, be careful in the Grand Canyon, the heat in the canyon in summer is no joke.

If you have more specific questions about certain areas feel free to ask, as you can tell I've only scratched the surface on what you'll be covering with this trip. Looks like a great time though, hope you enjoy the US!
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby lbeckett » Thu May 03, 2012 1:33 pm

I did a similar trip (just the southern leg) last year in August/September. Was very hot in some places (Washington/New Orleans/Texas) so not too many layers needed there!

My advice though is make sure you have something warm for the camping. Even on hot days it got very cold at night - Carlsbad, Grand Canyon and Yosemitie really stood out for me. Make sure you have something warm for when you're hanging around the campsite/sleeping if you have a terrible sleeping bag like I did! The weather can turn really quickly - one night there was enough wind to take the cover off someones tent, that might have been more down to their shoddy tent skills but still!

The section I did is a great trip, theres tons of good trails in the national parks, whichever one you pick is going to be a winner. Go by how far you reckon you can go/ have time for.

As for things to do on free days, New Orleans is just a cool place to wander round. The aquarium was a bit much for whats there, but wasnt too bad. Theres good food and music on in most bars during the day - definitely go for a swamp tour, lots of gators and awesome accents! The best thing I did in New York was a circle lines boat tour - a really good way to see the city from a different angle, plus you can rest your feet for a bit! I didn't have too long in San Francisco, but theres some good eating in Chinatown. Other people went for a trip to Alcatraz which they enjoyed, but you have to book that in advance because tours fill up quickly.

This is making me want to take in the northern leg now! Its a great trip, you really get to see the good side of america. Highlights for me were definitely New Orleans, Grand Canyon and camping out in Monument Valley is absolutely amazing.
lbeckett

Postby nomadickiwi » Thu May 10, 2012 5:27 pm

Thanks a heap. Most enlightening. Kind of what I thought might be the response.
I'm used to hot temps & water requirements, having lived in South Australia where it hits +40C (+104F), often at +113F. Humidity is the killer for me. Same problem in SA with the massive night time drop in temps too.
Gives me a good idea on clothing.
I will be making the most of trails to explore the various national Parks so I'll have good footwear.
I have six free days in San Francisco before doing the trip up to Seattle so I will be will seeing a lot of that town!
Thanks again for the heads up...
nomadickiwi

Postby mrsteveutah » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:00 am

Hey there Mr Nomad, I lived in the USA for 13 years and drove a truck all over for 6. These guys are correct the temps do flutuate, You can wake up from a cold night and have a 100 deg day.

I am going on this tour with you and am bringing a mixture of shorts T-shirt and long sleeve.

I have been to all the places we are going many many times and it is a great tour with plenty to do and see.
The swamp tour is awesome ad so a the national parks.

Just take the trip day by day,met the people that are on it and see where it goes from there old chap.

See you on the 30th

Steve
mrsteveutah

Postby mrsteveutah » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:02 am

Oh one more thing, You mentioned the weather in SA , the north west is like living in hell
mrsteveutah

Return to North America