Scotland - Aug/Sep (budget)

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Scotland - Aug/Sep (budget)

Postby shinogo » Tue May 01, 2012 11:30 pm

Hey guys! I'm just looking for some general information pertaining to what myself and my girlfriend should be budgeting for day-to-day travel expenses throughout Scotland this September (maybe catching a bit of the end of August.) We're not interested in anything terribly fancy, but could probably do a little better then the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel when it comes to accommodations. We're both vegetarians, if that makes any difference. Open to camping as well if that's a viable option at this time of year.

One of the things that we'd like to do for sure is visit The Orkney Isles, but I don't have a good idea how much that venture might cost us. My grandfather grew up there, so it's an important destination for me, but I know the cost of living and travel costs are high...

Anyways, any info is helpful! Booking flights soon and realising I want to educate myself a bit before leaving, as opposed to just flying by the seat of my pants as I usually do haha

Thanks guys!
g.
shinogo
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Scotland - Aug/Sep (budget)

Postby georginal » Wed May 02, 2012 3:05 pm

HI Shinogo

Some thoughts

www.hostelworld.com
www.scotrail.co.uk
pint of beer £3 possibly less in the country
Consider flying if you're thinking of heading to other parts of the UK as well its cheaper than the train.
Edinburgh Festival is the last weekend in August - so one to watch on the accommodation front and the last Monday in August is a Bank Holiday Monday as well.

Hope that helps!
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby eric » Wed May 02, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi

" the last Monday in August is a Bank Holiday Monday as well."

in England & Wales. But NOT Scotland!

Regards

Eric / London / England
eric

Postby onyx007 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:44 am

The best homepage for informations about trainjournies is
http://www.seat61.com/

There might be train passes available which will cover more than one journey.
onyx007

Postby Starbuck86 » Sun May 06, 2012 2:38 pm

You're looking at about £200 rtn Edinburgh-Orkney. Flights can often be cancelled due to high winds though, so make sure your insurance covers that kind of thing.

There aren't a lot of vegetarian places in Edinburgh but the Kalpna on South Clerk street is very good and very reasonably priced. David Bann is the premium type veggie place on St Mary's street and Henderson's on Hanover street is an amazing veggie deli.

I'm from Edinburgh originally, so if you need any extra info, feel free to pm me. :)
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

Starbuck86
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Return to Europe