Waterproof cameras?

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Waterproof cameras?

Postby foggybridges » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:13 pm

I'll be doing some snorkeling and possibly rafting on my upcoming trip, would like to get a waterproof camera before I go... opinions on which brand/type?

I don't want to spend more than 200 if possible, but if the pics from a 300 camera are significantly better, I'd opt for that.

Thanks!
foggybridges
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: Waterproof cameras?

Postby Zuleika » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:29 pm

Often the nature of these cameras are that they are sadly of significantly inferior picture quality when not using them in the water.
Also - Have you looked at underwater housing for the camera that you've got - it may be cheaper.
Or take both cameras if you buy an underwater one.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby jen_the_rockhopper » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:06 pm

I am looking at getting a GoPro for my trip to accompany my NikonD300s for when I am kayaking because of its waterproofness and the ability to attach it to different things and get excellent High Def shots and videos. I know here the kit I am looking at is around 350 canadian perhaps a little mroe than you were looking at spending but it does include mounts and such
jen_the_rockhopper

Postby markmol » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:53 am

hi
i did rafting at Jinja in Uganda & we could not take cameras with us, we spent most of the time paddling & hanging on.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sun May 06, 2012 9:07 pm

I saw some pretty good reviews for the Pentax and Olympus weatherproof (not waterproof) cameras. I think they're rated for 10-20 meters depth so okay for snorkeling and whitewater rafting although I wouldn't take them scuba diving.

You can also go to a dive shop and get an Ikonos housing complete with Nikon point and shoot camera. The cameras are Nikon's regular good quality point-and-shoots so you can easily take them out of the housing and use them for non-water photos.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby bexonthebeach » Sat May 19, 2012 4:25 am

I wouldnt really advise getting a waterproof housing - they're expensive, take up space in your luggage when not being used, and tie you to a particular model of camera. But most importantly, I find them to be super high maintenance. You need to ensure the seal is in excellent condition so it doesnt leak when submerged, so you'd need to test it before each trip, you' d have to keep it in a well padded case so shocks when travelling dont crack it even a little, and you need to have an adequate supply of silicone sachets for each use to stop it steaming up otherwise you'll get foggy pics. I took one travelling with me in oz a few years back and it was such a hassle.

The splashproof/weatherproof compact cameras around now are a great alternative, as long as you dont need them when diving. I had a Sony Cybershot TX5 which was a good camera in its own right, and was waterproof down to 5m without all the above hassle of a casing. The fact that its shockproof and dustproof too makes it great for other adventures you may have :)

Unfortunately I cannot vouch for the quality of its underwater pics as I lost it to the indian ocean on its very first snorkelling trip (tip - hanging it on a lanyard round ur neck is not secure enough when in water!) however friends on the same trip had the Olympus Tough and theirs came out pretty good! Of course it depends on the water clarity, but these pics had good colours and definition so if I were to get a replacement, I'd probably get one of them.

Alternatively, and what I intend to do next time, is have my a decent compact camera for regular use, then a seperate cheap waterproof digital camera. You can get them for around £50-80 online. The picture quality obviously wont match that of an Olympus/Canon etc camera, but its one u can use in the water/on the beach without worrying too much about it, as you wont lose much financially if it breaks/gets lost and you wont be left without a camera for the rest of your trip.
bexonthebeach
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:53 pm

B&H Photo is a good source as is Adorama. You can of course also try Amazon or eBay or Best Buy or ... (you get the picture).

Here's an example of a search for waterproof Olympus and Pentax point-and-shoot cameras on B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Features_Waterproof&ci=8612&N=4288586279+4291306223+4291284238+4294956508

The Olympus Stylus Tough-8010 runs just under $150 US with free shipping inside the USA. It has 14 MP, is waterproof to 10 m and has a 5x zoom.

The Olympus Tough TG-1 with a fast f/2.0 lens runs about $370 US.

The Pentax WG-1 runs about $200 US and has stats roughly comparable to the Olympus Stylus Tough-8010 -- but compare their picture qualities at a good digital photography review site.

The Pentax WG-2 runs just under $300 US while the WG-2 with internal GPS runs just under $350 US.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby AdamfromCanada » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:27 pm

I've owned three waterproof cameras so far. I love my DSLR, and it would be great to try it with an underwater housing, but I'd be so ridiculously nervous that it would leak and destroy the camera, that I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon, especially since you can get pretty decent photos out of the underwater cameras (and even better videos!)

On my latest trip, which was an extensive one, I started out with a Pentax WG-1. We were in the Galapagos, and I got some great underwater photos.

Some things I've learned about the cameras underwater is that there is rarely enough light to use the full zoom without coming out with really blurry photos, so hopefully you can get fairly close to whatever you're trying to photograph. I was really happy with my Pentax, except that just like the first Pentax underwater camera I owned, it failed on one of our snorkels...and has never worked again since. I did everything that you're supposed to with the camera, but it only takes a little water getting in to it to spell an end to it, and unfortunately, that happened to me.

As I said, I was on an extended vacation, and after the Galapagos was in Australia where we had a chance to go out on the Great Barrier Reef. I bought an Olympus TG-810 camera as my faith is somewhat shaken in the waterproof-ness of the Pentax now. The first three here are from Australia, the last from Zanzibar.

I really like the Olympus, and it definitely isn't a step down from the Pentax (although several of my shots had pink dust throughout the Zanzibar snorkel). Neither camera did well when zoomed, so they're about equal there...and it makes sense...it's always going to be relatively low light, so the camera needs to hold the shutter open longer when zoomed. Personally, I'd pick the Olympus over the Pentax (which is hard to say as a Pentaxian when it comes to my DSLR) simply because I've had two Pentax fail and I think the seal on the Olympus seems to be better. Oh, but one thing about the Olympus - turn off the geotagging! It's a battery hog and I couldn't believe how quickly it sapped all the power on my camera.

I hope that's helpful...if months too late!
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada

Postby sinecure » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:11 pm

I've taken a Panasonic waterproof/shockproof etc. to Mexico, and all over south east Asia. It preforms well, and while not as sharp as my SLR, it does a very good job out of the water when it's sunny. You aren't going to win any awards with its low light photography, but I would have no objections to getting this camera again.
sinecure

Postby mistie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:47 pm

I have waterproof camera Canon Powershot D10 and I used in my tour in Central America while snorkeling. Worked well but it was first time I used it so not so much experience yet but I'm happy with it :) And got some nice pictures and video also. Wasnt expensive so I could recommend that.

Some examples:

mistie

Postby IncaTrail50 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:34 am

markmol wrote:hi
i did rafting at Jinja in Uganda & we could not take cameras with us, we spent most of the time paddling & hanging on.

BAAHAHAHAHA! I love it! I took a waterproof camera with me on rough water and thought I was smart by bungeeing it to the front of my lifejacket. I let it hang there while we set off and got adjusted to the pace of the water. The theory was that if I had to let it go and paddle like crazy I could drop it on a second's notice and not lose it. The reality was that the first water-pocket we hit it arced up and hit me smack in the mouth! That pretty much resulted in me crying and missing the fabulous scenery for about ten minutes, never mind the canoe going sideways because I couldn't paddle and staunch the flow of blood at the same time... :lol:
My suggestion would be to get a waterproof camera that can mount on your helmet...and I like the Olympus also.
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs