cabin-mates

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

cabin-mates

Postby jen_the_rockhopper » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:44 pm

strange question: are you able to find out who you are sharing your cabin with before departure or is it a surprise for the day of? I would love the opportunity to 'meet' whoever I will be bunking with in January
jen_the_rockhopper
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: cabin-mates

Postby tletter » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:07 pm

jen_the_rockhopper wrote:strange question: are you able to find out who you are sharing your cabin with before departure

I think not since that would only work if GAP gave out personal contact information that travellers might not want to share. In any event, cabinmates could change at any time up to sailing for a host of reasons.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Please feel free to check out my travel website at http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby ballu » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:04 am

You find out when you get there...I've been on trips where there are more than 2 solo females and we've rotates roommates. Also if there's an odd number someone will get a room to themselves which can also be rotated around.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby tletter » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:44 pm

jen_the_rockhopper wrote:I would love the opportunity to 'meet' whoever I will be bunking with in January

If you put your trip in the Departure Lounge for January, you should be able to meet some fellow travellers on your trip.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Please feel free to check out my travel website at http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter

Postby sabreur » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:27 pm

As others have said, you find out once on board. Even if you share a room with someone in the joining hotel it doesn't mean that that is who you will share with on board.

As well as the Departure Lounge section on here, there is a virtual meet-up section on the g Facebook page. I also met people in the hotel the night before sailing.
sabreur
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:02 pm

I didn't know until I got onboard. Look at it as an additional surprise treat. :D
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby jen_the_rockhopper » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:13 am

ExplorerWannaBe wrote:I didn't know until I got onboard. Look at it as an additional surprise treat. :D

thats how i am trying to look at it though I must admit my anxiety is doing a good job on me and it is only April LOL Fears we wont be compatible etc etc what can I say first time travelling anywhere and where do I chose to go and what do I chose to do? Ha I just learned how long the flight is going to be :shock: I am going to go batty!!!!!! Never thought Toronto to Argentina would be that long. Stocking up on reading material now
jen_the_rockhopper

Postby TravelFun » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:27 pm

jen_the_rockhopper wrote:
ExplorerWannaBe wrote:I didn't know until I got onboard. Look at it as an additional surprise treat. :D

thats how i am trying to look at it though I must admit my anxiety is doing a good job on me and it is only April LOL Fears we wont be compatible etc etc what can I say first time travelling anywhere and where do I chose to go and what do I chose to do? Ha I just learned how long the flight is going to be :shock: I am going to go batty!!!!!! Never thought Toronto to Argentina would be that long. Stocking up on reading material now

Don't worry about being or not being compatible...you'll be too busy being compatible with Antarctica and it's grandness :P

When I got onboard I found out that my 'room-mate' pulled out of the trip last minute so I had the cabin all to myself!

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:12 pm

Yeah, there really shouldn't be a problem with compatibility because you're doing something wrong if you're doing much more than sleeping and changing clothes in the cabin. ;) There's just way too much to see and do top-side or in the lounge or on the stern deck or ... :D
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic