Suitcase question

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Suitcase question

Postby twoeightnine » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:56 pm

onyx007 wrote:Another idea might be to send your big bag with something like FEDEX to your Destination and just take the things with you, which you'll need on your 6 day trip.

And by the way your luggage will not be in the bus but rather on top of the bus.

Actually it will be in a small trailer being towed by the van.
twoeightnine
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby murrayg » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:59 pm

I believe the luggage will be placed in a trailer if the numbers on the trip preclude the luggage being transported in the van itself. I haven't seen too much luggage carried on top of vans in the States. Maybe in other countries though...
murrayg
User Rank: Weekender

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:32 am

jaycw wrote:Ok let me tell you right now to stop worrying! :)

You are gonna be in a first world country for one week. ANY type of luggage will be fine, especially suitcase style.

The backpacks the dufflebag are only important when traveling to destinations without paved roads and where you may have to haul around your stuff to hop onto trains and up and down stair/hills like in India or somewhere (which I should mention I was there for over a month and a rolling duffle worked fine for me on and off the tour).

You will be in america, no need to buy new stuff for hundreds of dollars.

Whoa! Hold on here! He's talking specifically about the Yellowstone Active Escape. The description for that particular activity shows they are using a van, not a coach. Storage space is tricky as the one CEO stated in his response -- that particular trip uses a small trailer according to the CEO.

Backpacks and duffel bags are also important when you have limited storage space and have to fit it in. Your cavalier attitude in your various responses is irresponsible and what creates problems for tour guides in general; frankly, I consider it rude to ignore the needs of the other guests and leave the guide with a huge problem.

As onyx007 suggested, perhaps they should send the big suitcase via FEDEX. You can live out of a medium size duffel bag for a week, especially since that tour isn't one you're likely to want your fineries on anyway.

Murray, I would suggest you get traveling duffels for this. I'm not sure if it will be easier and cheaper to go roundtrip through Bozeman and grab a one-way shuttle from Jackson to Bozeman -- if it is, you can probably arrange to leave the larger suitcase in storage at the joining hotel while you use carry-on size duffel for the 6-day trip. If not, the FedEx route is one that will alleviate you of some hassle during this period.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby murrayg » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:46 pm

Hi
I really didn't anticipate such a varied, eager and passionate response to my question regarding travel luggage. It appears that by what means you carry your belongings when travelling can be quite emotive.

In my mind a simple way to avoid this confusion would be to apply similar rules to the allowable luggage limit (as applicable - tour dependant) using a standard formula like the airlines. When I book a flight with any airline I am made completely aware of the limitations I must apply to my luggage or face an added expense if I wish to be noncomliant with the airline's requirements. The airlines specify volume and weight limits for luggage and I believe this criteria should be applied to G Adventure tours if and where necessary.

To this end, it would be fair to conclude that if the luggage you wish to take is compliant with airline specifications for regular transport (i.e. meets weight and volume limits) then it should be suitable for a G Adventures tour. If this is not the case, the traveller should be given the specified requirements of the luggage instead of merely a recommendation to use a duffel bag or back pack.
murrayg

Postby IncaTrail50 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:03 pm

murrayg wrote:In my mind a simple way to avoid this confusion would be to apply similar rules to the allowable luggage limit (as applicable - tour dependant) using a standard formula like the airlines. When I book a flight with any airline I am made completely aware of the limitations I must apply to my luggage or face an added expense if I wish to be noncomliant with the airline's requirements. The airlines specify volume and weight limits for luggage and I believe this criteria should be applied to G Adventure tours if and where necessary.

Well, you'd think so but the airlines don't enforce their own rules. I have seen travelers bringing huge bags on-board and they weren't stopped at the gate. They'll have two carry-on bags, plus a purse larger than most carry-ons, and no one stops them from boarding or asks them to check the obvious suitcase. Hence the disagreement last year or so when the airlines were trying to define purse size! Not to be discriminatory, I have seen men board with a big carry-on, oversized laptop case, and a garment bag. :P There are always people who disregard the rules, and it's acceptable because most of us don't, and that allows them space for their extra belongings. :wink: The real problem is going to be if all of those people end up on the same tour! :lol:
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby Zuleika » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:06 pm

Just a word about rolling duffles, I'm on my second one now. Make sure that it will stand up on its rolling end when full and not keep falling over.my first one didn't and very quickly got annoying and inconvenient. Hence had to be substituted very quickly and so onto my second one which is a 60litre Osprey Sojourn which after having used for several trips now I can heartily recommend. It Is very robust, turns into a backpack if u should need it and it has sturdy 'off road' wheels. Love it and hope it will be on many travels with me.

And also of note, I can testify to the fact that having travelled the world in all seasons with a backpack of a mere 65 litres for 2.5 years long that you really REALLY don't need all that much stuff, you really don't. Pack lighter.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika

Postby murrayg » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:09 am

Hi
Having just completed a fantastic trip through Yellowstone NP and the Grand Tetons I feel that I can now add some value to this discussion from personal experience. It was recommended in our pre-trip information that we use a duffle type bag for our luggage requirements. In our group of 10, approximately half were traveling with duffle bags and the others with suitcases. In our group's experience the suitcases offered a much better storage solution than the duffle bags. They stacked better, did not roll around as much, and were easier to handle than the duffle bags (note: we did not have to carry the bags up stairs). I would add, however, that keeping the weight of the luggage to around the airline limit of 23 kg or 50 lbs would be advisable.
murrayg

Previous

Return to Travel Tips