Camera Batteries

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Camera Batteries

Postby kcupp95 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Hi, I'm going on the National Parks of the Canadian Rockies tour in a couple of months which is 12 nights camping. The camera I'm looking at purchasing uses Li-Ion batteries, which my only problem is of how to charge them whilst on the trip as I'm not sure how much access I'll have to power (never been camping before). Was looking at purchasing some third party generic batteries for a cheaper price and was wondering how many I should consider purchasing to cover myself? Or should I look at a camera that uses AA batteries which was my original plan?

Thanks!
kcupp95
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Camera Batteries

Postby DanielBMe » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:23 am

I doubt you'll have any problems charging your batteries. I'm sure there will be some place at some point where you can. Is the trip camping throughout or do you hit some hotels inbetween? You may want to look into buying a 12v converter such as this, http://www.voltageconverters.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=DX-100. You can then use it in the vehicle to charge your batteries.

Keep in mind that using AA batteries is not very eco friendly and should be disposed of properly and not just thrown in the garbage.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby collywobbles » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:05 pm

Hey kcupp95

Im also doing this trip at the end of july the westbound version. The cameras I am taking both have li- ion batteries. i just bring some spares When I did the camping in south africa there were power points to charge batteries so i assume the same will apply for the campsites at the national parks Thanks daniel for info regarding 12v converter. all info greatfully appreciated

cheers :D
collywobbles

Postby kcupp95 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:54 am

Hi the trip is camping throughout. As theres other people in the tour I didn't want to base my batteries on being able to charge them in the van.
kcupp95

Postby kcupp95 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:06 pm

Problem solved! Found a camera that takes AA's or a Li Ion battery!
kcupp95

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs