Things to do in Nairobi

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Things to do in Nairobi

Postby stephenlinden » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:03 pm

I'm doing the Cape Town to Nairobi trip on the 2nd feb and only just realised that I have an extra day and a half to spend in Nairobi. I arrive at my hotel midday on 15th Mar and my flight back to Glasgow is midnight on the 16th. Lucky me eh? :P

Does anyone have any suggestions for things to do or see?
stephenlinden
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Things to do in Nairobi

Postby DanielBMe » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:51 pm

You definitely have to visit the David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/. I couldn't find it on their webpage but you can visit them but I believe you have to arrive around 11am or so.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:56 pm

I agree with the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage. It's awesome.
Also visit the Giraffe Centre! http://www.giraffecenter.org/ You can hand-feed them which is pretty cool.
If you like jewellery it's worth a visit to the Kazuri Bead Factory. http://www.kazuri.com/ The beads are hand-made, reasonably priced, and the place provides employment to lots of single mothers.
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer

Postby AdamfromCanada » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:26 pm

stephenlinden wrote:I'm doing the Cape Town to Nairobi trip on the 2nd feb and only just realised that I have an extra day and a half to spend in Nairobi. I arrive at my hotel midday on 15th Mar and my flight back to Glasgow is midnight on the 16th. Lucky me eh? :P

Does anyone have any suggestions for things to do or see?

The things I've done in Nairobi:

1) Elephant Orphanage - Pretty cool experience and you're in Nairobi National Park, so besides the elephants, there are other wild animals around (we saw warthogs, guinea fowl and giraffes)

2) Giraffe Center - You can feed giraffes here, and get the infamous giraffe kiss:

3) Safari Walk - A zoo just outside the city (http://www.kws.org/parks/education/nairobi_safariwalk.html). We had a GAP employee we met at the hotel take us around the city and he brought us here and hooked us up with one of the keepers...who allowed us to pet the cheetah. Pretty cool to have a big cat like that purring away.

4) Carnivore - Great meal, pretty reasonable price. They just keep bringing more and more meat until you say stop.

5) The last time I was in Kenya, I had a day to spare and went on a full day excursion to Hell's Gate National Park and Elsamere (where Joy Adamson & Elsa the lion lived). This was my favourite day activity so far, although it's a couple hours drive from Nairobi. Hell's Gate is one of the only National Parks you can hike in, and I footed it up and down a dry river bed with Masai guides, before driving around the park and seeing zebras, antelope, buffalo, warthogs. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you some information on who I used to set this excursion up.

Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby thecakeisalie » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:59 pm

In addition to the above things, here's another vote for Hell's Gate National Park. With a midnight flight you have plenty of time to make this a day trip and still get back comfortably. Hiking in the park was mentioned, but my friends and I managed to rent bicycles near a lodge in Lake Naivasha to ride through the park. We rode past giraffes, warthogs, zebras, etc., and then hiked through the gorge part (where they filmed Tomb Raider 2, in case you're interested). Really interesting park! Giraffe Center in Langata is also a personal favorite, and Carnivore restaurant is pretty close to there.
thecakeisalie

Postby stephenlinden » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:32 pm

These are all fantastic ideas and I appreciate each of you taking the time to write it so cheers.

The Hells Gate national park sounds awesome, think it would be the ideal way to wind down my trip on my last day. But then who doesn't want a kiss off a giraffe? I'm sure I'll make up my mind on what to do by then.

Thanks again folks!
stephenlinden

Return to Africa and Middle East