Costa Rica Adrenaline Theme Pack?

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Costa Rica Adrenaline Theme Pack?

Postby erinfromto » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:08 pm

I am looking to book the CRA trip with GAP departing March 31st. I want to do all the extras....ziplining, canyoneering, rafting, ect. Does anyone have a suggestion as to whether or not to book the Adrenaline Theme Pack for $150 or to wait until I am there to decide what to do and when?

Any answers are greatly appreciated.
erinfromto
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Costa Rica Adrenaline Theme Pack?

Postby Janice08 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:46 pm

I'd wait until you get to Costa Rica. There might be something else that you would rather do.
Last edited by Janice08 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad

Postby Janice08 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:58 pm

I've just come back from my second G Adventures trip to Costa Rica and had a great time. This is what I've learned from both trips and talking with my CEO about the Adrenaline Theme Pack.

Pros for booking the Adrenaline Theme Pack:
- You've paid up front so don't have to worry about running out of money when you are on your trip
- You don't have to spend time deciding on the plethera of activities that are offered
- You help out your travel agent as they get a commission for helping you decide
- Your travel agent may have told you that you need cash and that they don't accept credit cards
- There is a small chance that the activities you want may be booked when you arrive at your destination.

Cons for booking the Adrenaline Theme Pack:
- Your travel agent may have misinformed you - Desafio takes credit cards. ATM's are readily available in Costa Rica if you don't like to use a credit card while travelling.
- On all the trips I've been on with G Adventures (including 2 to Costa Rica - Costa Rica Quest and Costa Rica Kayaking Adventure) we've never had a problem booking optional activities. If something needed to be booked before we arrived at our destination, our CEO would be aware and let us know and make the necessary calls.
- Other things you may not have time for if you pick the Adrenaline Theme Pack:
La Fortuna/Arenal Area (On most trips you have 1 - 1 1/2 days, the mambo combo takes up a full day)
- Full day rafting in class 3-4 rivers
- Trip to La Fortuna Falls - hike, bike, horseback ride or bus/taxi
- Kayaking and/or stand up paddling on Lake Arenal
- Hiking - leisurely hikes to all day challenging ones
- Zip lining
- River Floats by raft
- Mountain Biking
- Caving
- Wildlife Refuge
- Bird Watching
- Checking out the town
- And more
Monteverde (most trips have 1 - 1 1/2 days. The zip lining takes half a day. On the Costa Rica Quest the included activities take half a day)
- Ziplining with a different company (each company offers something a bit different)
- Horseback Riding
- Cloud Forest Hike
- Hanging Bridges
- Butterfly gardens, Hummingbird Gardens
- And more

Whatever you do choose, you'll have a great time.
Janice08

Postby prismm » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Theme pack is a no brainier imo. Just got back from there and it was the best $150 I ever spent. It comes with rappelling, white water rafting and Zip lining. The rappelling alone alone is $80 - someone in our group didn't have the pack and had to pay for it. What they don't tell you is that the rappelling and whitewater rafting includes a lunch which is quite good.
prismm

Postby Janice08 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:56 pm

You're right, for $150 it is a great deal - if you are sure that is what you want to do. However, the price has gone up to $190, and for trips starting after December 2012 the price is now $215!
Janice08

Postby irishexplorer » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Can the Adrenaline them pack be booked when you get to san jose, or do you need to have it booked before you go?
irishexplorer

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean